What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stone guard for wheel pants

QuixoteAg

Well Known Member
Patron
Anybody try to use any kind of film to protect the paint on your wheel pants? Any success without it looking weird?

Yes, I use clear paint protection film on my wheel pants, and it's so low it's hard to see it. I used to put it both in front of and behind the tire, but now only behind. Not sure it's worth it since you basically never see down there, but I've got a good sized roll, so I refresh it every time I have the wheel pants off. I think if I was going to do some air-air photography of my aircraft I'd consider removing it temporarily.

If you look closely at the flying pictures here you can see the film - it's ready for a refresh! http://www.rv8.ch/amazing-photos-from-berend-jan-floor-aironline-nl/

Last edited:
If and when my wheel pants get all dinged up, I found it to be pretty easy to pull them, sand them down an just repaint. First time I spent a few hundred bucks and had a body shop paint them with a two-part polyurethane, next time I bought a couple of rattle cans with my my specific paint code (WYR - Viper Yellow), but from now on I'm just going to use some Rustoleum from the hardware store...they have a color that's pretty close.

Back