What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spreadsheet for RV12iS builders showing parts inventory by id, kit, subkit, bags, etc.

Dwillows

Sponsor
I am a newish builder and finding myself spending way too much time finding parts in my kits, subkits, bags,etc. Has anyone created a spreadsheet for the RV12iS kit inventory? Or should I just bite the bullet and create one myself.

I have one for the kits I have received so far, emp, fuse and wings. I created it using Excel's built in OCR function which is far from perfect, but works relatively well. I cross reference with Section 4 to give you a "clear to build" by section indication, i.e. percentage of missing parts if you have any back orders.

Edit: link in post below

Last edited:
I have one for the kits I have received so far, emp, fuse and wings. I created it using Excel's built in OCR function which is far from perfect, but works relatively well. I cross reference with Section 4 to give you a "clear to build" by section indication, i.e. percentage of missing parts if you have any back orders. I'll edit this message and upload it when I get back from work.
This sounds perfect ... I have received EMP (done), Fuse (half done), and Wings (start soon?) and no parts back ordered. Thank you very much. I had visions of entering the entire inventory line by line manually which would be a slog, but better than searching items one at a time, the way I am doing now.

I am a newish builder and finding myself spending way too much time finding parts in my kits, subkits, bags,etc. Has anyone created a spreadsheet for the RV12iS kit inventory? Or should I just bite the bullet and create one myself.
I did not worry about a spreadsheet. I figured i would drop a rivet or two, lose a washer, etc. I did keep my sub-kits separate using rubbermaid tubs for most of the kits. Amazingly they fit in one or two tubs. For the small parts I used a Craftsman cabinet. Unlike the HF cabinets these have drawers with a stop that keeps the drawer in. During bag inventory I counted, compared to inventory/packing slip, then labeled small zip locks from Amazon with the part number in case the cabinet or drawers hit the floor. Labeled the drawers as I went then organized by part number to make it easy to find. As additional sub-kits came in, I just added drawers and cabinets as needed. Taking the time to inventory and organize before building anything has paid dividends in saved time and frustration.

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 9
  • hardware drawer.jpg
    hardware drawer.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 9
I figured if I edited the post people may miss the link.

Onedrive Link

Please let me know if that doesn't work. Make an offline copy. Rules for use: enter anything (X or quantity or whatever) in the Vans back order or missing/mistake columns, that will flag the line item as not received. Don't edit the Section column as that does a look up and cross references section 4.

I will add the rest of the kits when I get them, not likely to be until later this year though.

I figured if I edited the post people may miss the link.

Onedrive Link

Please let me know if that doesn't work. Make an offline copy. Rules for use: enter anything (X or quantity or whatever) in the Vans back order or missing/mistake columns, that will flag the line item as not received. Don't edit the Section column as that does a look up and cross references section 4.

I will add the rest of the kits when I get them, not likely to be until later this year though.
Hiho Cameltron, thanks for the file… nice work.
Not sure if I can use it though… let me explain…. I have e.g., my Fuse kit organized here in my shop in 8 labeled “subkits” (8 small piles of parts, corresponding to the 8 subkits identified in the Fuse inventory). plus the numbered bags (408-3222) in the inventory arranged so I can find the one I need quickly. And I have the remaining parts in a cluster called “other”)

So for instance today I needed F-1086b to build the vents. All I need to know is which “sub-kit” , “bag”, or “other” that part is in. That information is in the 10 page inventory, but it’d take far less time to just search the spreadsheet for “F-1086b” and find out which it is in; subkit 1-8, bag xyz, or “other” . Is that info in the spreadsheet? I don’t see it but maybe I’m not looking for the information correctly.

Hiho Cameltron, thanks for the file… nice work.
Not sure if I can use it though… let me explain…. I have e.g., my Fuse kit organized here in my shop in 8 labeled “subkits” (8 small piles of parts, corresponding to the 8 subkits identified in the Fuse inventory). plus the numbered bags (408-3222) in the inventory arranged so I can find the one I need quickly. And I have the remaining parts in a cluster called “other”)

So for instance today I needed F-1086b to build the vents. All I need to know is which “sub-kit” , “bag”, or “other” that part is in. That information is in the 10 page inventory, but it’d take far less time to just search the spreadsheet for “F-1086b” and find out which it is in; subkit 1-8, bag xyz, or “other” . Is that info in the spreadsheet? I don’t see it but maybe I’m not looking for the information correctly.

Ahh, yeah I get your use case. It doesn’t have that as a field right now and I could edit that in tomorrow.

However if you use the table tools to search the part number field, remember what row it was on, e.g. 558 for F-1204, then clear the search and look a few rows up you see it is in bag 2715. Not as easy as what you’re looking for but the data is there. The sheet very much is a digital version of their packing list and not formatted like a database like it should be, I can work on it this week.

Attachments

• 1710218260166.png
    1710218260166.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 8
Before you put any more work into it, let me try the methods you suggest a bit..... maybe that'll do it ! For sure, neither of us wants/needs to spend more time on this issue than necessary. Life's too short!

It now works slick as a whistle! Even on my mobile… just pop the id carefully into the search box and up pops the location, complete with info about subkit, bag and etc. Brilliant!

Thanks very much. This will save me many hours of thumbing through the inventory hard copy searching for individual items.

Back