What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space Coast or Merritt Island - Recomendations?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Looks like I'm going to fly the RV out to Kennedy Space Center on Monday for a couple of days - Shutte Landing Facility is too much of a hassle, which looks like it leaves Space Coast Regional (KTIX) or Merritt Island (KCOI) as places to park and get a rental car. Any recomendations from locals?

Paul

Last edited:
Not Local but ...

When I flew down there for STS-59's launch with SIR-C flight #1. I tied down at Titusville: Space Coast Regional. It worked out fine and it was convenient to the NASA side gate.

Bob Axsom

where to stay?

Where are you staying? If you are in the Tituville area then Dunn Airpark of Tyco would be closer. if you are on Merritt Island south of 528 then MI airport might be closer. Enjoy your stay with us. Do not Archive

I like Merritt Island just because 1/3 of it sticks out into the water and is really fun to land at. Tie down is easy there and they are very helpful. I haven't landed at Titusville , I have just flown over it when flying from Savannah to Merrit Island. But I think Titusville is closer.

Thanks for the help folks! I did end up using Titusville, primarily becasue it was quick and easy access from the Launch Complex 39 area at the end of the day, and my travel people new right away how to get me a rental car there. Merritt Island looked like a great place as well - might try that next time, just to be different.

I ended up beating my colleagues (that left the ofice the same time I did, but flew the airline) to the hotel in Canaveral by over an hour....sweet!

Paul

Back