What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke equipped flyby for gender reveal

Ericbrye

I'm New Here
I know this is a long shot, but a friend of mine reached out and asked if there was anyway I could find someone that could do a gender reveal fly over this weekend (26-28 Jan) in the Pensacola/Panama City beach area.

Last edited:
Are you ok with white smoke? Not everybody has colored smoke since either you need a jet to burn it, the colored oil is very expensive if someone wants to try to burn it in their piston aircraft, or you need a colored smoke bomb attached to your plane.

Used the pink smoke oil for a friends reveal. It gets everywhere and will stain if you don’t get it off quick..

Please be careful. Those stunts have been going awry way too often lately. I realize you're talking smoke and not hundreds of gallons of colored water, but exhibition flying over a crowd can be the first link in a deadly chain, as Van himself cautioned in an RVator long ago.

We did one recently…turn left for Boy/ right for Girl…crowd loved it…no need for colored smoke ruining your belly.

And in Canada at least, a flight like this over an "invited assembly of persons" would qualify for (as in require) a Special Flight Operations Certificate issued by Transport Canada to be completely legal.

Just send people an email when you find out the gender. Blue text or pink text.

pardon my lack of social awareness, but what is a gender reveal? Is this when expecting parents learn of their unborn childs gender via ultrasound or some kind of transgender thing that I arguably know little about.

Last edited:
I've done this in a Husky. We used colored powder, which can be purchased online or made easily enough with food coloring, corn starch, and some time in the oven to dry it out. From there it's no different than an ash dispersal, ironically.

If you search VAF for ash dispersals there are some great engineering solutions to accomplish the drop itself. Just brief, brief, and rebrief yourself to expect and resist the urge to look back and admire the color cloud. Eyes ahead and keep an appropriate airspeed.

Please be careful. Those stunts have been going awry way too often lately. I realize you're talking smoke and not hundreds of gallons of colored water, but exhibition flying over a crowd can be the first link in a deadly chain, as Van himself cautioned in an RVator long ago.
YES!
I used to say the three most dangerous words in aviation were "hey, watch this."

then it was, "hold my beer".

But now it seems like it's "Its a girl!"

I know of at least three fatal aircraft mishaps associated with gender reveals.

I won't post the link here but search YouTube for "gender reveal crash" that went very wrong in Mexico. Not directly applicable to RVs but we don't want to get caught up in the moment and violate the laws of physics.

Back