What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small “spy” cameras

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone tried one of the very small spy or nanny cameras inside their cowling? If so, which camera did you get and how did you mount it?
There are some pretty small ones that either wifi images to your smartphone or have a micro disk in them. None seem to have any type of hard mounting provision. Most have a magnet on one side to connect to a small base.
I would like to get several of the IR type and position them inside my cowl to see how much movement is in there through my flight.
Example camera
https://a.co/d/8qI66sE

Watching . . . .

I have been wondering the same . . .thinking of tufting the inside of the plenum and looking in the lower cowl as that flow is a mystery to me.

I know of one individual who went down this path. I don't know exactly which camera equipment he used.

His chief negative comment was the IR illumination created large shadow areas because there really isn't much option in terms of a good mounting location that gets the camera far enough away to have a broad enough field of view without having something else in the way to create a shadow. His other comment was that he seemed to be getting some funkiness that came from a combination of camera frame rate and some vibration in his chosen mounting scheme.

His one positive comment was that reviewing the footage made him understand much better how large the engine movements are on start-up and shut down. He was quite surprised as the movement was far more than he had thought it would be, and his camera provided incontrovertible evidence.

Might want to try one of the wireless borescopes connected to your phone or tablet. Should be easy enough to position where you want and it’s got its own light source. It would record, as well as being able to view in real time.

https://a.co/d/bSWamUO

I have been wondering the same . . .thinking of tufting the inside of the plenum and looking in the lower cowl as that flow is a mystery to me.

Post the video when you do, that will be interesting to see.

His one positive comment was that reviewing the footage made him understand much better how large the engine movements are on start-up and shut down. He was quite surprised as the movement was far more than he had thought it would be, and his camera provided incontrovertible evidence.

I had someone record my engine start up after replacing all the fuel hoses, in case something went terribly wrong so there would be evidence, and was also amazed at how much the engine moves on the mounts, specially as it sputters to replace air with fuel :eek::eek:

Clay located is strategic locations and covered with shipping tape will give you a very good idea of how much movement you get.. only on start up.
clay.JPG

Last edited:
Back