What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slidedown Tie Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Has anybody made extensive use of Slidedown aircraft tie downs? Have you seen them bear up to significant winds? Did they hold?

Line (rope) handling

Just learn to tie a Taunt Line hitch and a Bowline. Put the Bowline on the anchor point, run the line through the wing/tail tie down ring and finish with a Taunt line hitch.

Super easy stuff I learned as a Boy Scout.

If you can build and/or fly a plane. You can learn how to tie a few basic knots that have 1001 uses.

P.S. When I did my A&P General classes (at 60 years old), there wasn’t a person in the class under 20 that knew how to tie knots. It’s a dying skill.

Just learn to tie a Taunt Line hitch and a Bowline. Put the Bowline on the anchor point, run the line through the wing/tail tie down ring and finish with a Taunt line hitch.

Super easy stuff I learned as a Boy Scout.

If you can build and/or fly a plane. You can learn how to tie a few basic knots that have 1001 uses.

P.S. When I did my A&P General classes (at 60 years old), there wasn’t a person in the class under 20 that knew how to tie knots. It’s a dying skill.

Thank you Dad, I mean Rick, I know how to do that, and I've been tying those knots since I was a kid. Now, back to my original question:

Does anybody have any experience with the Slidedown Tie Down product? Have you seen them bear up to significant winds? Did they hold?

PS: Thanks Max.

I have used the Slidedown tie downs on my 14A for about three years now and I like them. They have held up well in Montana and Minnesota winds (30+ knots). My small nit is that they could be a touch longer for the places where the tie down rings are wide.

My experience

I use a similar product, using red sliding aluminum blocks rather than the pipe-like pieces on the Slidedown. Same concept though. Might even be an earlier version. Anyway I carry them for use whenever local tiedowns aren't present, ropes are too short, I have to use ground anchors, etc.

If suitable ropes are present, I just use the supplied ropes, so that my civilization-preserving knot-tying skills are maintained. :)

Anyway:

1. Been very happy with them generally

2. Once in a while they are just a bit too short, especially for the tail. RVs are short airplanes. :)

3. The large-ish hooks that came attached to mine don't always fit in the tiedown rings embedded in the concrete at airports. I carry additional smaller hooks for this reason. Looks like the ones you pictured should work in most locations.

Since I never miss an occasion to harumph: it's surprising to me how much variation there is in the size and accessibility of embedded tie-down rings at airports, and how frequently rings are jammed with dirt, etc. I'm also amazed how often tiedown ropes provided at airports are completely shot. You would think liability concerns would encourage people to use fresh ropes. [/harumph].

I have used the Slidedown tie downs on my 14A for about three years now and I like them. They have held up well in Montana and Minnesota winds (30+ knots). My small nit is that they could be a touch longer for the places where the tie down rings are wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back