What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

skyview network connector lock screws coming loose

david.perl

Well Known Member
I had my annual inspection and my inspector was unimpressed that a number of the Dynon skyview network cable plug screws had worked loose and in one case 2 of the screws had come out completely. I think they are called D Sub 9 connectors and are common in the IT world - not sure if they were ever designed for aircraft

He was asking if there is a way to secure them better with wire ties or something else?

Can anyone share their experiences of how to secure these better?

I have a lot of these in my aircraft and have not seen this problem. Do you think they were tight when they were installed? Any vibrations that might be causing this?

Just this week I was visiting a customer that's in the space business, and here's what they use on their satellites - a type of dsub connector.

dsub connectors on ESA spacecraft - 20231214 IMG_0635.jpg

Google “D-Sub Thumb Screws” - replace all the little screws with these, and they are easy to tighten (or to remove). You can also drill holes in the outside end for safety wire (or buy them pre-drilled). These just make maintenance work much easier - I put them on almost al of my D-Sub connectors.

Paul

Not all D-sub connector backshells are the same. The ones I use most often include a locking feature to prevent the screws from backing out, and can optionally be safety-wired for extra security if you're so inclined. Low-quality cheap ones, especially the plastic type, lack the same features.

Garmin to the rescue...
I think these are the one's Matt is referring to.

011-02950-00_HR_1793.jpg

Those Garmin Dsub backshells appear to be made from unobtanium rediculosum. And the thumb screws a made especially so as not to fit any other make of Dsub backshell.

The ones Dynon sells work fine. They just don't look like airplane parts, so you're gonna find airplane mechanics that don't like them.

I'd say tighten them up and check again after a few more flight hours.

There are also wire spring locking devices that eliminate the need for screws. Plus they are an easy install or removal. My Shadin Miniflo L uses one of these.

Dave

If you don’t or can’t tighten the Dynon supplied ones, they can vibrate loose. I use mini needle nose to tweak them tight.
You can also get something like this, where you can use a screw driver to snug them. Digikey or Mouser are good suppliers

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 3
If you don’t or can’t tighten the Dynon supplied ones, they can vibrate loose.

And sometimes even if you DO tighten them, they work their way loose. This year's CI turned up a repeat offender on the transponder connector (fortunately only 1 of the 2 screws). So it got some blue loctite this year. We'll see in 11 months if that works.

I HATE these little thumbscrews and the cheap plastic backshells. If I had it to do over, I'd replace every one of those with a better grade of parts.

I HATE these little thumbscrews and the cheap plastic backshells. If I had it to do over, I'd replace every one of those with a better grade of parts.

I too hate the thumb screws. Often when you think you have them fully tightened, they are not. I wish they had slots in them for a screw driver. The “cheap” plastic back shells are EMI rated backshells. If you want metal EMI backshells they add a bit of weight and cost. Die cast ones are available if you really want them. About $4 each for 37 pin.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products...l5SYSqxltrb6Mu8-aIf69DRCE07XkaKcaAv-KEALw_wcB

Back