What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview auto pilot 200FPM descent when pressing flight Director & level buttons

homeap

I have a 2012 RV 12 with a single Skyview touch 10” display and do not have a separate panel for the auto pilot control. I am new to using the auto pilot but notice a continuous 200 ft./min. descent when pressing the flight Director and level buttons. Either I am using incorrectly or I need to adjust it? If it needs adjustment what suggestions do you recommend to do minor adjustments between flights?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that it needs adjusting, maybe try using just the LEVEL button on its own, the FD button has a different purpose. Everything about the autopilot is well documented in the Skyview user guide, which is available for free download from Dynon website in case you don't have a copy.

I went to the fine-tuning guide, it says engage HDG + IAS mode, I do not see either, After I pressed auto pilot the buttons that are available are AP, FD, ROLL, PITCH, HSI SRC, and LEVEL.
Pressing the level button by itself it does the very same thing it maintains heading and then will have a slight descent at 200 ft./min.

See this post on the Dynon Forum by Dynon support:

https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/level-feature-pitching-up.15055/#post-88362

The primary reason for a climb or descent when LEVEL is pressed, is usually due to the ADAHRS not being level with the airframe. The autopilot will attempt to first level the ADAHRS on both pitch and roll when you press the button. If it is mounted slightly nose down, it will result in a climb and vice versa. BTW, adjusting the pitch attitude indication on the PFD will not resolve this issue. You have to physically shim the ADAHRS.”

Last edited:
The other issue I have seen cause this is that the servos need to be reversed in the configuration. Make sure you go into setup for the autopilot. It has you move the stick to the 4 corners and then calibrates the servos.

Vic

Back