What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single flute deburring bit?

Last edited:
Not sure if the OP is looking for the type I have, but I’m looking for a replacement as well. Sold by Avery Tools, before Bob retired and closed down the business.

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

I haven’t been able to find these since Avery closed. Anyone out there still make them?

Stevea has posted photos of the single flute deburring bit that I'm looking for. It threads into my deburring tool. I too bought mine from Avery before they closed. If anyone knows another source, please post and thanks.

Not sure if the OP is looking for the type I have, but I’m looking for a replacement as well. Sold by Avery Tools, before Bob retired and closed down the business.

View attachment 49448

View attachment 49447

I haven’t been able to find these since Avery closed. Anyone out there still make them?

Steve, can you post the full text that's stamped on this? It would be interesting to compare to one of the piloted countersink cutters, which are still sold by Cleaveland. I'm wondering if it might have started out as a piloted bit and then been modified.

Matt, Here's the full text of what's on the single flute deburring bit:

3/8 x 100 CR

There is a degree symbol after the "100" (but I can't figure out how to enter the degree symbol here).

Just for comparison with the other 3/8 (" diameter) x 100 (degree) counter sink bits I have, here is a photo:

IMG_1524.jpg

The single flute bit may have started out using the same blank as the piloted bits, or the 3 flute pilot-less bit (far right)....it does not look like it was made from another existing bit.

I found the 3 flute deburring bit to be ok for the job, but it requires a bit of care in using it. 3 flutes cut 3 times as fast. Sometimes when trying to remove one small burr from one tangent point of the hole, the other 2 flutes that don't have a burr to cut into are busy countersinking away.....when you really don't want that to happen. :mad: The single flute bit also has a less aggressive cutting angle on the cutting edge that I found works better on removing aluminum burrs. Also, the 1/4-28 threads fit into my go to deburring tool.....one of these:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/speeddeb.php?clickkey=11333

As for the single flute tool in Cleveland's current catalog (https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/drilling-and-deburring/products/3-hex-deburring-tool), it has a hex shank presumably for chucking in a drill. Power deburring....with a drill......:eek: Probably does work for some...but too easy to have an "Oh, cr*p" moment from my experience.

Possible solution if we can't locate a source for these: Anybody have a tool re-sharpening setup that can re-grind the front face and put a new cutting edge on this bit? Remember, it is a 100 degree included angle......and most drill bits are 118 or 135 degrees.

Last edited:
Back