What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SikaFlex canopy

jcbarker

Well Known Member
Is anybody using SikaFlex instead of fuel tank sealant on the 14 rear window? The KAI says to use fuel tank sealant between the skins and canopy but nothing about bonding to the roll bar. Is the extra thickness of SikaFlex an issue? Or does it just squeeze out. I'm still using screws so it's a belt and suspenders approach.

I went with SikaFlex and it worked perfectly and it looks great. I only wish I'd used more masking tape. I find it easier to work with than Pro-Seal. Yes, it squeezes out, hence the masking tape--use a lot. There are two advantages. You can precisely control where it adheres with the primer, and--god forbid--if you ever have to remove the canopy you can cut the SikaFlex with a razor. I couldn't figure out how to do the rear canopy without the screws, but the holes were there already so no big deal. I did not use screws on the roll bar or canopy frame and it looks really good. If you need a gasket to seal the canopy you'll have to use one with adhesive backing, but I didn't use one and it's fine. I've flown through rain with no leaks. By the way, I did the canopy with SikaFlex as well. Good luck!

Back