What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Back from Paint Shop, 1st Eng start & taxi.

Got our RV-12 back from the paint shop and started the Engine for the 1st time today.
Started right up, all is Well....... Put a short video of the start up and taxi test on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwpjqjgHNT0

FP19012010A0001J.jpg

Jim Olson
Blairsville, Georgia
RV-12 N126BJ SN:120141
[email protected]

Last edited:
Looking good.
Make sure you do not idle the engine too slow...it is very hard on the gear box.
Avoid speeds that produce the clatter sound. On an RV-12 with the Sensenich prop that speed is right around 1620-1630 RPM and below.
Note, it is possible to set the idle speed lower than this to help keep landings short, because in flight the prop drives the engine when at idle throttle setting, and it will run smooth. If you do set a lower idle speed, any pilots flying the airplane need to know to manually keep the above the idle stop to keep the engine smooth (right about 1650 RPM).

Best Idle RPM

Scott what is the best RPM for the Sensenich prop? Phill Lockwood has written several articles about this subject, He says Idle RPM is based on Prop weight not to go any lower than 1400RPM, 1800 is best for low wear and tear on the gear box. More than 1800rpm will cause start problems. Thanks J

Scott what is the best RPM for the Sensenich prop? Phill Lockwood has written several articles about this subject, He says Idle RPM is based on Prop weight not to go any lower than 1400RPM, 1800 is best for low wear and tear on the gear box. More than 1800rpm will cause start problems. Thanks J

As I posted above, I have found that 1650 RPM is about the minimum speed (on an RV-12 with the Sensinich prop) that produces what seems to be a smooth idle that isn't rattling the gear box.
In my other post I mentioned that you can set the idle lower and have it run smooth in a glide while landing (this helps makes it a little easier to make short landings) but the pilot must be aware that he can't leave the throttle at the idle stop while taxiing because the engine will be knocking the gear box. Learn to listen for a knocking / rattling sound. Make sure you never let it idle with that sound present.

Paint Job complete

The sun came out and it warmed up a little today, so we wheeled it out of the hanger for a few pics today. Finishing up paperwork.

1zdc9if.jpg

eufznp.jpg

Jim Olson
RV-12 N126BJ, Zenair 601HDS N56BJ
Blairsville, GA
[email protected]

Jon Thocker's RV12

Okay, I've had 13 good working hours with my nephew Bruce this week.
I've probably got an additional 3 or 4 by myself in the shop doing the menial stuff, (removing blue stuff, separating parts, edge deburring etc.
When Bruce left last night, we were ready to clecoe the Vert. Stab skin on and rivet.
Today we completed:
The Vertical Stab.

The Rudder

The Anti Servo Tabs

On to the Horizontal Stabilator tomorrow!:D

Last edited:
Very neat! You know....the fella in the pictures is going to want to take the RV-12 up for the first flight!! I am sure it will be an awesome experience for both of you! Love the way the RV-12 flys!

A milestone day...

First install of the wings today with the help of retired Air Force pilot Randy G. (on the right) and match drilled the Flaperon Torque Arms. Thanks, Randy:
781104817_pJR2N-M.jpg

The wing pins after greasing went in nice and snug. This amazing airplane is tight as a tic.
781104718_5udCC-M.jpg

Tony

Last edited:
Wing move...

With lights installed and the flaperon torque arms drilled, the wings were just taking up space in my shop, so moved them to the hangar at PWT today.
I found that they fit neatly into a 6'X12' utility trailer on the wing rack and secured fore and aft using the tie-down rings.

Note the mains spars between the railing:
784897498_evdVF-S.jpg

I live close to the Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal and there is a 20 minute boat ride across the sound then 15 miles to PWT:
784897588_CuTCK-S.jpg

Safe arrival at PWT; my neighbor, Chuck, helped me:
784897788_JYc2N-S.jpg

How the wings were secured in the trailer:
784897720_EtQAc-S.jpg

Tony

50 hrs.

6 more weeks until the fuselage arrives.......arrrhhhggg!
9 weeks 'til the wing kit shows up!

The emp. kit after about 50 hours.

Jon,

are you assembling the entire tail section or will you assemble when attached to the fuse. we are finishing the tailcone and are curious as to which would be the most effective route.

Kyle,
Not sure what you're asking, but, I've disassembled the tail kit for now.
I will now await further instruction from the mother ship!
Regards,:D

Status...moved to hangar.

We accomplished the much anticipated move of the fuselage to the hangar today. The wings and tail were already there, if interested you can see pictures of that move in my earlier posts here. Today's move went very well, it turned out to be a bright and sunny Pacific Northwest day with snow capped mountains in view. We took the fuselage for a ferry ride across Puget Sound to Bremerton National Airport.

The moving crew; Phil (trailer owner), Gary (another RV-12 builder), myself:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Recap/9456278_VuruK#813645263_nenkc-A-LB][/URL]

On the boat ride:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Recap/9456278_VuruK#813645492_FHZJj-A-LB][/URL]

Arrival at PWT:
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Recap/9456278_VuruK#813645492_FHZJj-A-LB][/URL]

In the hangar with wings installed!
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Recap/9456278_VuruK#813647331_JXE42-A-LB][/URL]

Final assembly can begin...
Tony

Looking good Tony. Take your time and double check everything. Don't let the "hanger rats" distract you.

Last edited:
959 Hours Into My RV-12

I made a video of my RV-12 build ... still a way to go but I do have the Avionics and Engine Kits on order.

If you care to see my new location at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (KSRQ) and where I am after 959 hours CLICK HERE..

Serial #120003 (N124JG) hopes to be airborn later this year. :)

Here are a few pics after final paint and assembly. The N numbers & RV-12 logos are vinyl.

RV-12_Side_Medium.jpg

RV-12_Tail__Medium.jpg

I had the plane painted at Abbott Aviation, Aurora, NE.

Last edited:
Larry

Nice pics. Of course I like the one's of it in front of Van's tent. That's what you should send in. What do you have planned for the wheel pants?

Havin fun now!

Larry,

That's one good looking -12...

You must have the most -12 hours logged of anyone right now, except the red demo.

Tony

Larry,

That's one good looking -12...

You must have the most -12 hours logged of anyone right now, except the red demo.

Tony

I think Mitch has the most with over 150 hours, John Bender is next, he is over 80 hours. But it's no fun keeping score, I'd rather be flying! ;)

RV-12_Vans__Medium___2_.jpg

At SnF Mitch's blue -12 was over at Plant City giving demos so we moved my -12 in it's place. All the guys & gals at Van's tent were great to get to know. they watched my plane like hawks, no problems at all.

2,500 mile round trip flight from Lincoln, NE to Lakeland, FL. It was a great trip made easy in the -12.

Last edited:
Larry, it would be interesting to know more about the cross country trip you took to get to FL and back. Performance, avg speed, stops, fuel burn, etc.

Your plane looks great!

Slane

WINGS WINGS WINGS

Our wings are moving along, left finished and right on the workbench.

Check the unicom12 link at the bottom of the post for pics and commentary

Last edited:
Empennage Finished

Been busy these past few days and finished my empennage kit today after 117 hours and 20 minutes of building. Amazing to think that 76 days after starting the build I have some proper aircraft parts finished.

Tomorrow the wings and fuselage arrive at my house after the journey across the Atlantic. So far my RV-12 has been in an aeroplane, on a lorry and a container ship...... It's not even finished and it's done a fair few miles!

Thanks for all the advice so far

Last edited:
Wheel Pants Progress

RV-12WheelPants100_1446.jpg

RV-12WheelPants100_1442.jpg

Finished the basic this morning. Waiting for a few missing hardware parts yet. Final sanding and painting next, when it is warmer in my area.

John Bender

RV-12 Front Pant Clearance

RV-12WheelPantsClearance100_1448.jpg

I was very interested in the front pant nose to ground clearance. It is good. 3 5/8" from floor to center of front tire opening, of front pant, no one in seat(s).

John Bender

At the moment - - - -

Yes. I am going to make a hole or plug system in the side of each to make it easier to add air. Still thinking about that.

John Bender

Mitch

New Blue has 132 hours logged, as of yesterday. I bet I do at least another 100 by year's end.

Mitch,

Are you having to burn 100LL all the time because of your travels? If so, should be interesting how the Rotax holds up. No additives I assume.

New Blue has 132 hours logged, as of yesterday. I bet I do at least another 100 by year's end.

Mitch is New Blue available for demo rides again? I heard/read that it was classified as experimental for a while.

I would like to come down to St.Mary's for a flight before I order the kit

thx

RV-12 100 hour Club today

RV-12100hrClub100_1475.jpg

Was a super smooth morning in Iowa to fly. Temps at alt, about 70 degrees, 21 C. Hazy, but NO BUMPS ! Saw 5 barges along the Mississippi River.

John Bender

RV-12 Pants & Stripes today

RV-12WheelPantsStripses100_1489.jpg

Red Vinyl with 1/4" black vinyl boarder. Picture is only fair, but you can get the idea.

John Bender

Pete,

I use 100LL exclusively in New Blue for two reasons: Most of my flying takes me away from my home airport and we are just watching how it really effects maintenance. At 140 hours, that's pretty early. We'll see. I really don't expect any problems.

I do use the additive Decaline as instructed by the factory.

New Blue is available for demo rides at St. Mary's Airport (2W6) in Maryland. And yes, it is licensed as Experimental-LSA. This designation does not preclude us from giving demo rides.

Back