What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 9/9A project!

You guys are making me feel bad

I must have gotten ahead of myself. I had my aft top skins riveted on before I received my finishing kit. I too had mine shipped by Partain. I'm currently at the 90% done - 90% left to do stage. The money tree in the back yard isn't growing fast enough for me to pick the dollars off so I can buy the rest of the components I need.

I have to admit that I am enjoying this stage of the build. Guess many feel that way once it starts to look like an airplane.

SJ Cowl, plenum, baffling, FWF DONE!

Well, I am calling the cowl work complete!!! I started work on it in July and probably lost about a month and a half due to vacations and holidays. It was more painful than I had imagined. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to fit parts that aren't supposed to work together.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

I'm not 100% done but the remaining minor things to do I can do at the airport. You can see the hole and a slot on either side of the cowl for the hinges. I have to make some sort of plate out of either aluminum or fiberglass to cover those but I'll put that off for a while. I also will go through the engine area AGAIN to literally tie up any remaining loose ends.

What's next? Those ugly Clecos holding the last skin on have to go. Then, back to the dreaded canopy, and then finally, the wheel pants. I'm still shooting for going to the airport this year.

IMG_0352.jpg

You can see I've allowed for quite a bit of engine droop. I have a conical engine mount with the cheap, non Lord mounts so I've read that this set up can droop more than other set ups.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Drool... awesome!
why did you go with that Cowl if i may ask such a simple question! love it!

Thanks!

Well, I hope to lower drag. With a 9, I'm not looking for speed but maybe I can save a bit of fuel.

Secondly, I want to stand out from the crowd a bit.

But the biggest reason ended up being that I really love the looks!

Is that a Thing next to the airplane?

Kelly,

Your getting there. I noticed the VW Thing on the other side of the plane. Looks like many airplane guys are car guys as well. I hope to be doing my cowl later in the summer.

Thanks!

Well, I hope to lower drag. With a 9, I'm not looking for speed but maybe I can save a bit of fuel.

Secondly, I want to stand out from the crowd a bit.

But the biggest reason ended up being that I really love the looks!

i agree, build on!! she is looking awesome!

Kelly,

Your getting there. I noticed the VW Thing on the other side of the plane. Looks like many airplane guys are car guys as well. I hope to be doing my cowl later in the summer.

That's my 1973 VW Thing that I've had since 1985. Except for less than a week when I was prepping for the engine install, I've been able to park it inside the garage for the entire build.

Okay, I am no longer building an airplane in my garage!

Bitter sweet. Awesome to see it go to the airport, sad that I can't work on it in my underwear anymore.

2lvg291.jpg
[/IMG]

And on the road

rbb1uo.jpg
[/IMG]

And at its new home.

wa3qm0.jpg
[/IMG]

Bruce: Not that you won't but make sure you trim your aft spar on your "7A" per the plans. There is a 7A flying around Oklahoma with some forward sweep due to this task being over looked. Builder says it flys okay but is readily noticable at all the fly-ins when you walk down the line. :eek:

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK
9A, Mazda 13B

Thanks, Doug! I covered that little task when I built my wings. Might be a good reminder for others here.

Wings are done (for now)

839906250_sgngW-M.jpg

Wings are off the jig, into the cart. Just some plumbing/wiring/rigging left, but that can wait because the fuselage kit is here.

839906927_EVDWU-M.jpg

I must say that building the wings went much faster than I thought they would. I finished them in just under 6 months. That includes time off for the holidays, business travel, and family obligations.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the fuselage.

Starting on the Panel

I have the Panel machined for The TruTrak EFIS and EMS. A Garmin Aura and AirGizmo plus an SL40 and Garmin Transponder will go in the radio stack. Fuses on the right are automotive type like in the RV-12. I will wait on the switch holes until a little later. There are other things to be installed when I figure what I want or more accurately, what I can afford.:)
DSCN2626_000.jpg

Last edited:
Final skin is attached!

Today, with the help of my lovely wife Melissa, my good friend Paul, and my 19 year old daughter's boyfriend David (heck, if she's gonna have one I might as well put him to work, grumble grumble), I installed the very last skin to my RV-9A. I made some last minute changes to a couple of switches, went through the wiring behind the panel ONE MORE TIME, took some final close out pictures (as we say in the satellite business), and slapped that last skin on.

It wasn't as nearly as difficult as I had imagined laying under the panel and bucking those rivets. I was able to do most of the riveting by myself believe it or not! The toughest places for access were the left and right corners at the instrument panel. The left side was the worst. I have my fuse block, compass, and airspeed indicator over there so there isn't much room. Even after temporarily removing my airspeed indicator, I still wasn't able to reach a few rivets. I ended up using 5 pop rivets over the entire skin because of accessability issues.

Even running a bead of 3M fire caulk along the interior firewall perimeter wasn't bad at all.

The photos below look almost identical to those I posted a couple of weeks ago when I completed my cowl except now I can say, "Look Ma, no Clecos!"

Next is a much needed clean up of the garage and then back to the slider frame work I abandoned a few months back. BUILD ON!

CIMG3199.jpg

CIMG3200.jpg

CIMG3201.jpg

Last edited:
Toilet paper roll on left step makes great kneecap protection :). The skin looking good Kelly I'll rivet mine in couple weeks too.

First time RV sees daylight

I rolled my 9A out of the shop today. My shop has a concrete sill about 10" high and I wanted to build some wooden ramps. Also my roll bar barely clears the top beam. The house is very old, floor is not level and everything has strange geometry. I was really concerned about height. I know for sure that I can not fit the canopy inside. But I didn't need any wooden ramps it's good to have lots of friends. I called a Ukrainian wrestler, good friend of mine and a GP-4 builder to help me out. To lift a thousand pounds is a piece of cake for him :D Roman lifted one main first then the second one I guided with tow bar. Thank you Roman! We will repeat the process in July after I rivet top skin for final canopy fit.

DSC_0007.jpg

Last edited:
My panel nearly finished!

Here is my panel nearly finished. Actually, the part shown is completed. I have to finish the radio stack cover plate and the right part of the panel.

15cy69z.jpg

Ah, my airplane will be approx. 35 knots faster than yours ;-)

Last edited:
The first part that looks like an airplane part!!

After hours of learning about edge finishing, deburring, hole layout, drilling, fluting, screwing up, fixing and screwing up again I finally have a picture of something that looks like it may belong on an airplane. :D I ran out of cleco's so I couldn't get it clecoed all the way together. I have 150 more #40's coming tomorrow. I should be able to do all the drilling tomorrow too.
I am pretty excited that it is coming together. I also enclosed a picture of my assistant. This is my son Levi and he just loves our shop. He got to do some drilling, deburring, dimpling and riveting today in the shop. His first rivets actually turned out better than my first rivets. I'm a proud papa!:D
DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Levi!

Thank God he looks like his Mom!!:D;)

Aaron - That first big piece is a real motivator - nice work!

A I also enclosed a picture of my assistant. This is my son Levi and he just loves our shop. He got to do some drilling, deburring, dimpling and riveting today in the shop. His first rivets actually turned out better than my first rivets. I'm a proud papa!:D

DSC_0051.jpg

Assistants are the best. Hook 'em young! Our garage Summer 2003....the girls are not so little anymore! We fly to Chicago for college visits in the next month or so :eek:
Kate%20and%20Meg%20Rivet.JPG

Airplane building - Normal activity?

We may have to look out for Big Brother once it gets out our kids think its normal to build an airplane in your garage or house. I hope it instills in them a sense of freedom and accomplishment they never lose.

Pete-
Nice shot of the girls working on your plane. Now I know who really built it!;)
The last time I walked into your hanger Kate was under the plane cleaning the exhaust residue off the plane. I can tell she loves hanging out with her pop and being around planes. It's a COOL thing!

Engine on!

Somewhere in the past couple of days several critical path firewall items were resolved, and the build-o-meter passed 1600 hrs.

Oh, and future RV-12 builder Ed Rupp and I managed to install all four bolts to keep this engine off the ground!

P5235446.JPG

Looking good Chip! I did my cowling yesterday and hope to finish the baffles today. I'd like to a "first run" on Friday.

Today was a big day at the airport. I am officially completed with construction and now in "Preflight". I fueled and oiled with no leaks, PTL!
I was able to time the mags and op check the starter. Tomorrow AM I will do my first engine run. If everything goes well on Tuesday I will call the FAA and schedule my inspection. Also, next week I will have a EAA Tech Counselor (Jeff P) come and take a look and see if he sees anything that needs correction.

I still need to do pitot-static, transponder check, misc panels install and get a latch for my oil access door. Getting very close...

2n6br7p.jpg
[/IMG]

1ya344.jpg
[/IMG]

Engine on Airframe - Smile on Face

There are a lot of milestones in a build... so far this is the most exciting.
I've been slacking as of late, but after yesterday I'm motivated again,
and it's full speed ahead.

201005311132_76_2_m.jpg

Today was a big day at the airport. I am officially completed with construction and now in "Preflight". I fueled and oiled with no leaks, PTL!
I was able to time the mags and op check the starter. Tomorrow AM I will do my first engine run. If everything goes well on Tuesday I will call the FAA and schedule my inspection. Also, next week I will have a EAA Tech Counselor (Jeff P) come and take a look and see if he sees anything that needs correction.

I still need to do pitot-static, transponder check, misc panels install and get a latch for my oil access door. Getting very close...

Looks great, Tony! Seems like you might be able to fly it to Oshkosh this year.

First flight!

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Today was a great day for my wife, who finally saw the plane leave the garage, to make room for two cars, again. The plane went "flying" to the paint booth, a few streets down the road. As you can see in the picture, it is ready and taped up for paint. I had a special lifting jig made (at work) to lift the plane at the front, at the engine mount.

If everything goes to plan, it will be at the airfield on Friday evening, for final assembly. (the wings are already awaiting the fuse, there).

I will report back later.

Regards, Tonny.

f_umtf1wb7m_9ac25c4.jpg

Looks great, Tony! Seems like you might be able to fly it to Oshkosh this year.

Chip,

Thanks, I have an appointment with the FAA tomorrow to go over paperwork. My inspector lives in the same town as my airport and when I told him the plane was "done" he said, "well let's get this on the fast track"!

Whew, I am a bit nervous! I did taxi tests today. Everything worked like it was supposed to. I still have a few items let that my tech counselors pointed out.

OSH is not out the question. We'll see.

MauiLVrs,

Looks great! You must be about ready to fly?

Engine Hung

Well all you other guys had me feeling bad about my progress so this week I got the engine hung. Another milestone accomplished.

Give me that pink slip!

N524AP gets her wings!

2hicw7s.jpg
[/IMG]

Inspection went well. I had the plane opened up and he took his time looking around. The Milwaukee FSDO is great to work with and I felt that I was treated very fairly. Pete had a couple of suggestions but felt my plane was well done. Weather here in WI is IMC today and tomorrow looks to be the same. Wednesday looks good however for a first flight.

Last edited:
funny..

I know this is a huge moment for any builder, but looking at the picture, your priority's are in order, grab the pink slip 1st then worry about the picture.. :)

Weather here in WI is IMC today and tomorrow looks to be the same. Wednesday looks good however for a first flight.
Congrats Tony - can't wait to read your FF posting. Since you have "nothing" to do tomorrow, how about feeling pity for us that cannot build a 9A in only 1050 hours (WOW) and take/post some detailed pics of your completed plane on your website? It would be cool to see what the firewall forward / interior / panel came out like. Especially motivational for me, since I can then think "make it look like Tony's" as I grind forward. So few people post good, detailed pictures of planes that are done.

Thanks, and best wishes for your 1st flight!

Congrats Tony - can't wait to read your FF posting. Since you have "nothing" to do tomorrow, how about feeling pity for us that cannot build a 9A in only 1050 hours (WOW) and take/post some detailed pics of your completed plane on your website? It would be cool to see what the firewall forward / interior / panel came out like. Especially motivational for me, since I can then think "make it look like Tony's" as I grind forward. So few people post good, detailed pictures of planes that are done.

Thanks, and best wishes for your 1st flight!

Thanks Dave. Well 1050 is quick, but I won't win any show awards. Although the FAA inspector did make a comment, "wow, it's rare that I inspect a plane and not find anything". He did have a couple of items he commented on that I need to fix. Another builder (Todd N) was with me during the inspection and he hit on a couple items I overlooked as well.

I will take some more photos. I am sure some can relate but as you get near to the end it can be difficult psychologically for several reasons. First, if you have two or three "oops" on each kit, by the time you're done you have about 10-20. Each one "pokes you in the eye" every time you look at the plane. Makes you want to put the camera away. Second, now you have fly it. Two things will happen, you will have no sqwaks and it is perfect, or, more than likely, there are all kinds of things that are not quite right and just when you were thought you were done finally working on the plane, back to it! Finally, no more excuses to keep putting off the "honeydo" list.

As far as the 1050 build hours. I was quick because I spent 14 years doing aircraft production (mostly sheetmetal, avionics an heavy maintenance). Unfortunately, none of the work I did was cosmetic and it doesn't have a museum quality. I really wish it did.

Tony's "9"

Tony:

What engine are you running and where did your final weight come in at?

Thanks.

Doug Lomheim

Last edited:
Tony - don't worry about the "oops" - they are all in your eyes and besides you have an airworthy airplane. That is what's important. The pics are cool for me not to look at cosmetics, but to see how people did things that aren't really detailed on the plans, like the engine, interior, instruments.

I have zero years of aircraft of sheet metal experience - so imagine what my plane will look like when it's done :eek:

dave

Congrats Tony,

Now get the first flight in safely so we can add another digit to the 9/9A flying hobbs meter.

I estimate to be a year out if I can find the funds to finish up. The electronic toys will have to be added later.

Tony - don't worry about the "oops" - they are all in your eyes and besides you have an airworthy airplane. That is what's important. The pics are cool for me not to look at cosmetics, but to see how people did things that aren't really detailed on the plans, like the engine, interior, instruments.

I have zero years of aircraft of sheet metal experience - so imagine what my plane will look like when it's done :eek:

dave

I am sure your plane looks great. My sheetmetal experience worked against me on cosmetics. I was used to shooting 3/16 and 1/4 inch rivets. I had never dimpled a hole in 20 years since A&P school. Boeing AC are all machine countersunk. Also the skins are .040 and heavier. Pretty tough stuff to screw up.

Congrats Tony,

Now get the first flight in safely so we can add another digit to the 9/9A flying hobbs meter.

I estimate to be a year out if I can find the funds to finish up. The electronic toys will have to be added later.

Thanks Mike, yeah go figure that the day (and day after) my plane get's its pink slip we have IMC conditions. I actually had a dream last night that it snowed. Shows how much I have been looking at the weather.

Tony:

What engine are you running and where did your final weight come in at?

Thanks.

Doug Lomheim

Doug- I have a ECI xo-320 that I assembled from a kit. My empty weight was 1003 before any interior (supposed to arrive this week). Classis aero lists the weight of that at about 25 lbs or so. I should end up about 1040.

Congrats Tony!

Congratulations on your new baby. I bet you are PUMPED! When you get your 40 flown off lets meet at KEAU for pancakes so I can check out your bird and get a chance to meet another 9 builder.

Engine is hung!!!!

It only took 6-1/2 years from the beginning when I started the empennage kit up to this milestone. I actually can think about flying this thing in the not so far off future.
DSCN2686.jpg
DSCN2685.jpg

Last edited:
That a boy Jim

Way to go. I only beat you by a week on the engine install. I was in the garage last night drilling my Vetterman exhaust for the EGT probes and putting the CHT probes in my cylinders. Exhaust pipes are torqued to the cylinders.

Looks like you got your top forward skin riveted on - hope you got most of your wiring done. I don't like laying on my back under the panel.

Congrats on the engine install - I actually know how that feels to have accomplished.

8LK born

8LK born this 11:30 this morning...:D
2 years 7 months 20 days and 20 hours.
Lost track of how many hot dogs, burgers, steaks, beers, margaritas, trips in and out of the cockpit, in out, cuts, scrapes.......

Now if the wind would just go away....:(

Awesome. Congratulation! You are going to love that airplane. I have 5 hours on mine and I couldn't be happier! For 2 days after I got my pink slip (last Monday) we had solid IMC. Today the winds are gusting to 22.

Back