What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shield Terminations

hoz

Hi All,

I'm starting wiring my avionics, and have hit a roadblock:

Gamin G3X Touch Installation Manual (Rev AS p 21-3) specifies the use of 'Braid, Flat (19-20 AWG equivalent, tinned plated copper strands 36 AWG, Circular Mil Area 1000 -1300)' for shield termination.
I cannot see this available from any vendor (Stein, Spruce, Amazon etc), so am not sure how anyone complies with this.
Is anyone able to find this braid, or, what is an acceptable alternative?

Regards, Marc

In the AEA Avionics Installation for Experimental Aircraft class (highly recommended), we used 22 AWG wire with a solder sleeve instead of the recommended wire, which I recall the instructor saying was next to impossible to find. Another way we were taught is to carefully separate the shield wire and put a ring connector on it. I also took the EAA electrical course and I recall that we twisted the shield wire before putting the connector on it. I think there are a lot of acceptable ways to do this.

Last edited:
The guidance in this section of the G3X installation manual is very complete, but I imagine it was probably pasted from some manual for a certified jet that must meet stringent lightning protection requirements and thus every component and material has to be controlled.

Personally, I just use any random piece of wire. In fact my favorite way to terminate a shielded cable is the type of solder sleeve that has a short pigtail built right in. Simple and easy.

Typical-STS-Construction-Details-600x257.png

This video from Stein might be helpful...

https://www.steinair.com/videos/007-solder-sleeve-solder-splice-aviation-wire/

The guidance in this section of the G3X installation manual is very complete, but I imagine it was probably pasted from some manual for a certified jet that must meet stringent lightning protection requirements and thus every component and material has to be controlled.

Personally, I just use any random piece of wire. In fact my favorite way to terminate a shielded cable is the type of solder sleeve that has a short pigtail built right in. Simple and easy.

Typical-STS-Construction-Details-600x257.png

3/32" wide flat braid will give you a circular mil equivalent of 1200. Planetary Pinball carries it in cut length, with a cost of 42 cents a foot. P/N is MX-WB0332. That was the first place I found it in cut lengths, but there should be others.

3/32" wide flat braid will give you a circular mil equivalent of 1200. Planetary Pinball carries it in cut length, with a cost of 42 cents a foot. P/N is MX-WB0332. That was the first place I found it in cut lengths, but there should be others.

Awesome - thx vm; that's what I'm looking for.

be carefull with grounding schemes

I think I'm heading this way, but still unsure why Garmin insists on braid instead of just wire.

Just a word of caution about changing up whatever grounding details (shields or power connections) an avionics manufacturer specs out in their installation instructions. Not all grounds are equal in an electrical system, especially those relating to audio circuits. (Yea, I know it seems like they should be equal, especially to my mechanical engineering mind.) And, some times you really do need to do it EXACTLY like the manufacturer tells you to. Yes, a solder sleeve with a drain wire to a ground shield termiation may work just fine in most cases. But I ran into one that did not work very well, and it caused a very annoying buzz in my intercom audio.

Here are the details: The installation instructions on my previously installed uAvionix AV-30-E attitude indicator called for an 8 inch long (maximum) x 1/4 inch wide ground braid from the 15 pin d-sub connector housing to an airframe ground. This was in addition to the normal ground connection from the AV-30 to the forrest of tabs "electrical system" ground. Thinking "ground braid....really?", I installed an 8 inch 20 awg wire from the d-sub to the airframe. Worked just fine.....until months later when I connected the AV-30 audio output into my intercom, so I could make use of the AV-30 AOA headset warning tones. The intercom had a nasty annoying buzz/hum in the audio....clearly audible on the ground and in the air. NOT acceptable.

Process of elimination determined it was not the radio, was not the audio mix board, was not the intercom itself.....it was the AV-30 causing the buzz. After making sure I had not introduced any ground loops when installing the audio mix board between the AV-30 and radio audio signals, and the intercom system....I changed the AV-30 d-sub to airframe ground from the earlier installed 8 inch long 20 awg wire to the 8 inch long 1/4 inch wide ground braid. Problem solved....the buzz/hum dissapeared almost entirely. On the ground, in a quiet hangar, with the engine not running, a very slight buzz can be heard. But once the in the air, the buzz is undetectable....drowned out by the engine noise.

I was thinking the braid provided better grounding for high frequency noise (AC current skin effect....anyone?), but my EE analog circuit design engineer friend says it probably is the higher inductance of the ground braid. OK...that's outside of my pay grade, so I'll take his word for it.

So be careful with grounding, especially around an audio system. The intercom is where you are going to hear the results of injected noise and grounds that may not be elictrically "good enough" to minimize or eliminate the audio noise. If the avionics manufacturer calls out a ground braid, there is likely a good reason to spec that type of connection.

Back