What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing a Hall Effect Donut

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anyone that has one of these, how did you secure it?

I am thinking of an Adel clamp, but not sure how to keep the donut from escaping the clutches of the clamp. Maybe safety wire?

Anyone that has one of these, how did you secure it?

I am thinking of an Adel clamp, but not sure how to keep the donut from escaping the clutches of the clamp. Maybe safety wire?

Adel clamp works fine - friction can sometimes be your friend.

IMG_1642.jpg

Adel clamp is fine. As long as you have the right size I can guarantee it won’t move. Done it the same way plenty of times.
This is the setup on the 10.
The adel clamps holding the fat wires are on an approx 1/2” standoff to keep the wire roughy in the middle to stop any chafing.

96A71E82-94A9-4C1E-8470-568AF5DFC6D9.jpeg

Two wires through donut?

I have a backup alternator. So, was planning to run both ‘B’ leads through one donut. My thinking was that since only one alternator is generating electrical molecules at a time, only one donut is needed. Good logic?

I have a backup alternator. So, was planning to run both ‘B’ leads through one donut. My thinking was that since only one alternator is generating electrical molecules at a time, only one donut is needed. Good logic?

If your alternator is generating molecules, it's probably time for an overhaul.

If I had two alternators and wanted to have only a single current measurement, I'd put the Hall effect sensor (or shunt) on the battery positive wire, thus giving a battery current reading rather than some unknown sum of multiple alternators.

Yes, you can run multiple wires thru the donut and measure the total net current, including polarity. Note that if one alternator had a short, and was consuming all the current from the other, it would read zero. Personally I’d run two donuts, one for each alternator, so I knew what was going on with my electrical system.

Personally I’d run two donuts, one for each alternator, so I knew what was going on with my electrical system.

Be sure to read the directions so you get the needed passes through the sensor based on the alternator output.

The commonly used SD8 needs ten passes IIRC.

Be sure to read the directions so you get the needed passes through the sensor based on the alternator output.

The commonly used SD8 needs ten passes IIRC.

This depends on (1) max alternator output, and (2) max design current of the sensor. IIRC GRT sells variations of (2), and of course different alternators will affect (1).

Back