What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing on top of firewall

sblack

Well Known Member
The joint beteen the top of the firewall and the top forward fuse cover has lots of gaps between the fireawll tabs. This seems like a place where CO could enter the cockpit. What are guys doingo seal that up but still allow easy removal of the top forward cover?

Scott,
I used an aviation grade cork/rubber gasket material that was about 1/16" thick and bonded it to the firewall flange. It seals well, and is rigid enough to not deform like foam tape would, and has fair heat resistance.

Thanks Bill. Do you know if this is a common practice on 4s? I will look for something similar. Much appreciated.

Sealant

Scott,

I used 3M Firestop 2000+ sealant available from Aircraft Spruce. It is in a tube and is applied with a caulking gun. I have used it to seal firewall penetrations as well as firewall to skin joints and it has worked well. There is a tech sheet on the Spruce website with the product. About $30 per tube.

Al

Scott,

I used 3M Firestop 2000+ sealant available from Aircraft Spruce. It is in a tube and is applied with a caulking gun. I have used it to seal firewall penetrations as well as firewall to skin joints and it has worked well. There is a tech sheet on the Spruce website with the product. About $30 per tube.

Al

Did you put this between the tabs or did you literally glue the top cover in place? How did you cater for the fact that the top panel is removable? thanks for the response.

Back