What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB00036 inspection hole

Reilly

Hi
The SB calls for the aft hole in the outboard HS rib to be enlarged to allow inspection with a scope.
This can't be done as the elevator is in the way when in full up or down position.

The SB does not say it needs to be removed first. Must it be removed or can I make a new hole further forward?

check the elevator up down throw is to the specifications. It wouldn't be unusual to have stops that are not allowing enough throw. AND, this is really easy to measure/calcuate the angle incorrectly.

New hole

On my 6, I can not see the tooling hole due to my end rib being filled in plus when measuring, would not have been able to get to hole due to elevator. I checked with Vans and they said no problem drilling new hole further forward, just keep it on the centre line

On my 6, I can not see the tooling hole due to my end rib being filled in plus when measuring, would not have been able to get to hole due to elevator. I checked with Vans and they said no problem drilling new hole further forward, just keep it on the centre line

Thanks. Good to know

There is a borescope on Amazon in the $35 range that’ll fit in the tooling hole without enlarging. Unfortunately it doesn’t articulate to see valves but it saves you from having to enlarge the hole.

Thanks. Good to know

Back