What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A Landing / WigWag Light Issue / Upgrade

Skylarking

I'm New Here
I have the Duck Works Halogen landing lights in both wings and very recently I have noticed the circuit breaker tripped after about 2 minutes in either the landing or WigWag position. I've had N174MB about 8 months with no issues until recently. I do want to upgrade to LED's for hopefully a reasonable price and a simple plug & play conversion if available.
I've seen this fault mentioned on previous threads with no resolve. I wonder if maybe there is just a bulb going bad or if someone has experienced the same issue and has hopefully a quick and easy fix and recommendation for the best LED conversion.
I have a Taxi Light switch on the panel that does nothing so I'm guessing that was not installed since I have only 2 lights installed. Appreciate all help and guidance to get my fault issue resoived and upgrade tp LED's.
Love my Van's RV7A :)

If you want to upgrade to LEDs anyway, then now's a good time to do it. Duckworks makes a conversion kit that makes it pretty simple. It uses the existing curved leading edge lens and the same screw holes for a new mounting plate. It wasn't crazy expensive as I recall.

You'll likely need a different wig-wag module for the LEDs, as the old bulbs had a higher current draw and utilized a different module.

If you're landing on grass at night, you may want a higher-powered light. But the Duckworks upgrade will cover 99% of the flying most of us do.

You may want to look for issues in the terminals for all light wires first. Follow from the lights all the way back to the bus. A bad switch or CB can create issues as well. Take a spare battery and connect the lights to it through an ammeter. If each light draws less than half the CB rating, you have wiring issues and not light issues.

Flyleds makes a really nice light that will go into the duckworks frame without much difficulty. Very powerful, relatively inexpensive and great support.

Last edited:
Flyboyaccessories is also a distributor for Fly LEDs, it might be quicker to get from them, they are in the states.

Hi Charles

We have a range of lights that will fit into the Duckworks bracket, ranging from our Double Spots (great), or with an additional 10 minutes of dremel time if needed, our Quad Spots (excellent) or the Seven Stars lights (Outrageous!).
The second two have a separate Taxi power input that lights up just one light rather than all of them.
Don't forget to add wigwag functionality as well if you don't have your lights flashing already. We have two different products that can help you there.

As per the previous comments Flyboy Accessories also resell our products.

Click on the Flyleds logo below to head to the website for more information.

Flyleds wig-wag module couldn't be simpler, have more switching options, or have better documentation.
GREAT product.
Also, Paul and Blake have been two of the best and most responsive VAF advertisers that I have dealt with.

Back