What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A Jacking up all 3 wheels at same time

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
To check gear leg mounting/play, one needs to let the gear hang in air. For the mains, one can jack up a wing under the tie down rings. For the nose gear, it seems most use an engine hoist strapped to the engine mount.
Does anyone just Jack up the area under the plane between the firewall and wing spar, thereby lifting all 3 wheels off the ground? Obviously, this would be done with appropriate padding and a large board to distribute the load and maybe some weight at the tail tie-down ring.
Anyone do this with the 6A?

I haven't read anywhere in the 6/6A construction manual that it is necessary to lift all 3 wheels off the ground at the same time (other than when flying).
The mains can be lifted individually as you have described.
The nose wheel can be lifted off the ground by holding down the tail with a weight on the tie-down, with the plane supported on the mains.
Note the belly of the 6/6A is not flat under the main spar, as it is with the 7/7A, so any lift under there will need a vee shaped support.

Yeah, you’re right, not necessary to lift all 3 up at same time. I was just wondering about it as a convenient option for me and was a concerned about stressing the tail by pulling down on the tail tie-ring. However, it seems that is what most people do to raise the nose wheel off the ground and with no ill effect.

I do my 9A with a motorcycle jack. Works great. It allows you to fit the wheel pants in flight position easily.

Attachments

• IMG_5924.jpg
    IMG_5924.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 116
Unintended consequences

I do my 9A with a motorcycle jack. Works great. It allows you to fit the wheel pants in flight position easily.

I was thinking about doing this to check my intersection fairings.
When I built my upper gear leg intersection fairings, I glassed them on the plane sitting with full weight on the wheels. When I am flying, I know the fear legs drop down. I purposely did not put and screws in the trailing edge of the intersection fairings so they could flex with the gear.

I presently just have the farings tapped on, but need to put screws in. I see your fairings dont fit too great in flying condition. This is what I am worried about. And the reason I am interested in jacking up my plane.

Thanks for the idea of using a wood step block

Put jacks under the tie down rings and tie the tail down.
As the mains come up the nose gear will pivot into the air.
A couple of plastic 5 gallon drums filled with water should be sufficient to keep the tail down.

Back