What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 glare shield question?

grumman41

Does the RV6 glare shield typically remove to be recovered or is it riveted in place? Mine has some old carpet that is coming lose and I’d like to recover.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 59
Does the RV6 glare shield typically remove to be recovered or is it riveted in place? Mine has some old carpet that is coming lose and I’d like to recover.

Nope as it is part of the entire foreword skin as it is all one piece.
Did you get a copy of the plans when you purchased your 6?

I did receive the builders log (great asset)! There are some drawings from Vans but I don’t think it’s a complete set of plans. No problem, I’ll cover in place!

I did receive the builders log (great asset)! There are some drawings from Vans but I don’t think it’s a complete set of plans. No problem, I’ll cover in place!

You can get a complete set of plans very inexpensively from Vans. Do it. :)

Suggestion - when you remove the existing covering, consider making a template out of some stiff paper. I used file folder material to make my template and then transferred it to a larger single piece template. Then you will have what you need to make another one if needed. I bought a piece of fake leather from JoAnn Fabrics (many color choices). There was enough material in 1 yard to do a few RV6 glareshields. I stuck it down in just a few critical places with short pieces of thin carpet tape, so it’s removable. Secured the trailing edge (where your head hits if your belts are loose), with “pinch welt” from Cleveland Airtool.

IMG_2975_Original.jpg

The front side, next to the windshield, is finished with a section of automotive soft rubber door trim. It just squishes into the glareshield/windshield joint and just stays there.

Template

Suggestion - when you remove the existing covering, consider making a template out of some stiff paper. I used file folder material to make my template and then transferred it to a larger single piece template. Then you will have what you need to make another one if needed. I bought a piece of fake leather from JoAnn Fabrics (many color choices). There was enough material in 1 yard to do a few RV6 glareshields. I stuck it down in just a few critical places with short pieces of thin carpet tape, so it’s removable. Secured the trailing edge (where your head hits if your belts are loose), with “pinch welt” from Cleveland Airtool.

View attachment 50580

The front side, next to the windshield, is finished with a section of automotive soft rubber door trim. It just squishes into the glareshield/windshield joint and just stays there.

There's a neat trick to make the template.
Buy a pack of single sided laminating sheets and a pack of playing cards.
Lay a laminating sheet, sticky side up an inch or so away from the forward corner. Stick playing cards into the forward edge then press down. Repeat till the glareshield is covered plus an inch aft of the edge. Run a magic marker along the aft edge. Draw some alignment marks and a cut line from the brace forward. Remove and trim.

Back