What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Transition Training Phoenix

4nneK

I'm New Here
Hi there,

I'm just starting the process to buy my first plane after renting 152s for a few years. The -12 looks like it is going to check all my boxes. I know insurance will want me to do transition training, so I'm looking to do that before getting deeper in the plane search. Is there anyone in the Phoenix area with a cfi and a -12?

There are a couple of guys at Glendale Airport that do that in an RV-12. I think they call themselves Flying-Cacti.

Hi there,

I'm just starting the process to buy my first plane after renting 152s for a few years. The -12 looks like it is going to check all my boxes. I know insurance will want me to do transition training, so I'm looking to do that before getting deeper in the plane search. Is there anyone in the Phoenix area with a cfi and a -12?
I did my training at Flying Cacti and they're a great bunch of guys. The school closed, but Adam Levy, the owner, is still in the area. He may be able to connect you to one of his CFIs if you plan to get checked out in your own airplane. I don't know if Adam is on VAF, but he's on LinkedIn (search by name in Glendale, AZ). He was also flying a -12 and may be connected to other -12 owners/flyers in the area. I've also rented a bunch from CHI in Portsmouth NH and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Of course, that woudl require a bit of vacation in the NH coast.

I did my training at Flying Cacti and they're a great bunch of guys. The school closed, but Adam Levy, the owner, is still in the area. He may be able to connect you to one of his CFIs if you plan to get checked out in your own airplane. I don't know if Adam is on VAF, but he's on LinkedIn (search by name in Glendale, AZ). He was also flying a -12 and may be connected to other -12 owners/flyers in the area. I've also rented a bunch from CHI in Portsmouth NH and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Of course, that woudl require a bit of vacation in the NH coast.
I tried looking up Flying Cacti a few months ago to no avail. Thanks for the name though, I'll see if I can get ahold of Adam. Worst case, I'll plan an aviation vacation to OR, TX, or NH!

@4nneK, I did my transition training with Sam Tarrel (https://www.northwestaeronautics.com/) in Hillsboro, OR (http://twinoaksairpark.com/), about 30 minutes away from Van's HQ; if you decide to go this route, I would encourage you to tour the factory and get a demo, it's worth it.

I had a great experience with Sam; 8.2 hours of training in 3 days, but he should be able to fit your schedule.

I ended up not going the RV-12iS route after all, though, and decided to purchase a Sling 2 instead. Even though they fly very similar, I still want/need to get more hours on the Sling 2 now.

Last edited:
Being in Phoenix you may want to focus your search on the 12iS since vapor lock is more of an issue with the ULS engine. From the POH....

vapor lock.png

Last edited:
Back