What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Windshield Fairing

I considered that back when I was doing mine, but I went the less expensive route and did it by the book. I learned of a "trick" to make it easier after I had already invested a lot of hours into adding filler and sanding.

Basically, if you use 2-inch fiberglass from a roll (so you don't have to cut it), just trim off the raised edge that exists on one side of the cloth. It's there to keep it from falling apart, so you need to be careful with it after you cut it...but it will make your layups smoother.

Doing it the "hard" way isn't all that bad, really...and with the tip I mentioned, it probably would be much easier.

+1 for the tip

I didnt know about cutting off the raised edge when I used the 2 inch tape on my -7, it would have cut down my sanding and swearing by at least 50%:D

I think it would be a time saver and much better alternative to the what the plans call for..
A down side would be the gel-coat they have on that piece... as long as it was gound back during the finish out process, i think it would a great way to quickly finish out a nice windshield.
After dealing with some of the messes i have seen on windshield fairings, this would be very nice and save a few bucks at paint time, besides it beats the heck out of the electical tape idea..

Id question how much glass there really is and how much is gel-coat. The Vans parts that come with the kit gel-coated, are pretty thin pieces of glass.
this thing would be much more structural than a horizontal tip.

In short, i like the idea alot.. i have thought about making some several times.

I'm getting close to doing this myself. I have read that glass lies better when cut on a bias to the direction you are laying it. From what I've seen in my local store, the fibers are both parallel and normal to the edge when the glass comes off the roll. I bet you can order glass on a bias but is this really necessary? I'd sure like to use the 2" strips that I can get locally that aren't on a bias.

Thanks

Bias tape is...

I'm getting close to doing this myself. I have read that glass lies better when cut on a bias to the direction you are laying it. From what I've seen in my local store, the fibers are both parallel and normal to the edge when the glass comes off the roll. I bet you can order glass on a bias but is this really necessary? I'd sure like to use the 2" strips that I can get locally that aren't on a bias.

Thanks

...pretty easy to buy.

The WEST epoxy guys make it...

Here is one example -

http://cstsales.web01.yourhost.com/bias_glass_tape.html

Back