What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 FWF Fire Arizona, Good Outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturnerb

Well Known Member
https://twitter.com/BuckeyeAZFire/status/1728790654451401099

A Facebook Post ("Aviation Accidents: "This Day in History") included an apparent quote from the pilot:

""I believe that we found the cause of my inflight fire. One of the fuel rail fasteners had backed out and allowed one side of the fuel rail to lift of the #1 fuel injector causing a fuel leak or possibly a spray. I am very disgusted and disappointed in myself that I did not either safety wire or thread lock those two fasteners but at this point the best I can do is warn others. This was one of the Skytrax designed fuel rails made of aluminum instead of the stock plastic. I am certain that it was not the fuel rails fault but the stock rail uses a flange head bolt with a soft polymer washer and I used a socket head cap screw with no washer. This may or may not have contributed to the fastener to loosening. At this point I would suggest either thread locker or safety wire on these fasteners. See the attached picture for the gap between the fuel rail and mounting spacer as well as the fastener head gap. For those that asked...the fire was put out by placing anything I could find in every cowl opening to starve it of air. This included my jacket, a towel and some rags I had in the back and every item I could get off bystanders."

Sky Trax is a Yamaha snowmobile engine adaptation??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back