What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 vs RV-9A performance, both with 160 HP?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
If I recall correctly, Van's use to give performance numbers of an RV with different engines, but that's not on their web site any more. I'm just curious as to the performance comparison of the RV-8 and RV-9A with 160 HP and constant speed prop.

Thanks!

Ed

Still there.....
8a.JPG9a.JPG

Range

…I’ve been amazed how closely my 160hp -9A matches the Vans numbers.

My rv9a matches these number fairly well, but only after the upper and lower intersection fairings were installed. And it is amazing how much those teo pieces helped.

But I will never get the Vans range. It seems the range was calculated with no reserves and just based on simple math of fuel qty and fuel burn. I dont fly that way; I like to keep a min of 3 gal in each take in addition to the 45 min FAA reserve. Thus cuts down my effective range considerably. So my usable fuel each flight is no more than 24 gal. This still gets me really far at 55% power (4 hours), dont get me wrong. JMHO
Your mileage may vary ( pun intended)

Cruise Range

My rv9a matches these number fairly well, but only after the upper and lower intersection fairings were installed. And it is amazing how much those teo pieces helped.

But I will never get the Vans range. It seems the range was calculated with no reserves and just based on simple math of fuel qty and fuel burn. I dont fly that way; I like to keep a min of 3 gal in each take in addition to the 45 min FAA reserve. Thus cuts down my effective range considerably. So my usable fuel each flight is no more than 24 gal. This still gets me really far at 55% power (4 hours), dont get me wrong. JMHO
Your mileage may vary ( pun intended)

FAA VFR daytime reserves is 30 minutes. If you are only comfortable landing with a full 1/3 of your fuel capacity unused, that is certainly your choice but 12 gallons is a LOT of unused fuel!

The 160 horsepower -9 should be able to achieve the quoted range at 55% power, assuming no headwind. 55%
should have a fuel flow just under 6 gph if the engine is operated at best efficiency fuel flow and RPM. Bear in mind that van's is quoting range and speed in statute miles, not nautical miles. Also consider that altitude will have a significant impact on your efficiency so if you're flying at 5500' instead of at least 8000', you will not achieve the same range numbers that Van's quotes for 8000'.

By comparison, I recently flew a 700 nautical-mile leg in my 200 hp RV-8 at ~ 168 - 170 knots TAS and I had 9.5 gal remaining when I landed. This was in spite of having 10 - 25 knots headwind component for most of the trip.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
Back