What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Center Section

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Just started on the center section. There are no holes punched in the web or flanges except for the 4 vertical bulkheads (F-804C-AR, AL, FL, FR).
I can't drill the holes since there are no location specified in the plans.
Any others get a center section like this?

Dave

Just started on the center section. There are no holes punched in the web or flanges except for the 4 vertical bulkheads (F-804C-AR, AL, FL, FR).
I can't drill the holes since there are no location specified in the plans.
Any others get a center section like this?

Dave
Pictures would help tremendously. Is yours an original non-PP kit or a -1 matched hole prepunched kit?

I don't recall this part but I started this section 5 years ago. What is the part number in the original question?

The center section should include almost mirror image parts that look like the one at the bottom piece in your picture.

When finished, they should assemble to look something like the picture below. The second one is the a snapshot of the drawing. Does this part belong in the drawing below?

Attachments

• 20191008_195054.jpg
    20191008_195054.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 42
  • capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 41
it’s not supposed to be like that.
It’s supposed to have the holes already pre drilled.
I get the feeling you will be getting a new one.

It’s worth having a look at your F-802G/H as well. They should like they do in the plans, with a chunk cut out. Mine didn’t and I didn’t notice until I was trying to fit the lower longeron.

It’s worth having a look at your F-802G/H as well. They should like they do in the plans, with a chunk cut out. Mine didn’t and I didn’t notice until I was trying to fit the lower longeron.
From what I can tell, this part is supposed to come without the notch cut out. It’s confusing because the instructions don’t tell you that you have to shape the part. But there are cut lines etched into the part and if you look on the store website it shows the part without the notch. This is one of several places where the instructions should be updated.

The F-802G/H cutout is a gotcha for sure. This is my second 8 so I have moved up (slightly) on the learning curve. Not sure how Vans sent out a center section w/o holes. My wing kit had a bad spar that Vans replaced (not shipping damage - defect). I had to re-do most of a wing because of the spar. Now a bad center section - jeez... Quality control anyone!

The F-802G/H cutout is a gotcha for sure. This is my second 8 so I have moved up (slightly) on the learning curve. Not sure how Vans sent out a center section w/o holes. My wing kit had a bad spar that Vans replaced (not shipping damage - defect). I had to re-do most of a wing because of the spar. Now a bad center section - jeez... Quality control anyone!
By the way - Spars and center sections/spar carry through structure are REALLY important parts. Check yours for defects! I'm estimating 2K on the spar and another 2K for the center section plus about 1K on shipping. Vans ate the costs - Not judging - just sayin'

Back