What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Main gear intersection fairing question

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
There seems to be some discrepancy here. Does one bond the intersection fairings (bottom) to the wheel cover, or does one use plate nuts. Our idea is that you need to split it vertically if you are going to bond it. On the other hand if you use plate nuts, there is no need to split it vertically.

Wheel Pants

I would bond them on, it's a cleaner looking installation. Bob @ fairings ect. does a nice job. As with most things you still have some fitting to get the right fit.

wheelpant6es.jpg

Bob also supplies a small fairing for the nose wheel.

nosepant4jq.jpg

Gary N715AB

I now realize that we do not know how to fasten the upper main gear leg interface fairing. We are thinking about two platenuts on the bottom of the fuselage?

Upper fairing

I used 2 nutserts, one forward and one aft, the fairing splits on the inside and is held together with a small countersunk screw.

fairing9rh.jpg

Gary
N715AB

Gary,

You have done an nice job on your intersection fairings. I too elected to use Bob's intersection fairings and after comparing them with the Van's ones are pleased I went this way.

Just wondering if you've had any issues with 'wear and tear' particularly on the rear half of the lower intersection fairing? On another thread a builder indicated he initially butted his two intersection farings together though the rear one had started to crack. To remedy this he re-configured to have the join underlap the front half.

Cheers, Greg

fastening the gear intersection fairings 7A

Might you have some photos of attaching the gear intersection fairing to the fuselage, and how do you keep the aft end closed?

thanks

Same question here.?

You can build a glob of flox on the inside of the fairing near the rear split and then use a stainless sheet metal screw (tapping thread) to hold the rear tightly together.

The top fairings required two screws, one in the cabin floor and one in the wing fairing. Once you get it built, use your fingers to find the places that hold the fairing tightly in place.

On the lower intersection fairings, I did not glass my fairings on. This is because I looked at the pictures in the construction manual and did not read a single word....:rolleyes:. The pictures show attachment with nutplates and construction of a faired "pocket". Its fine. I do not like the vertical split method. Seen plenty of poor fitting fairings done that way. I like the rear split much better. There is a technique to glass the whole intersection fairing to the nose fairing and maintain the rear split. I may do that some day but it is WAY down the list of priorities.

Back