What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 condition checklist

Hello aviators, builders and enthusiasts...

My friend asked me to exercise my A&P in performing a condition inspection on his RV-4. A beautiful specimen to be certain, Joe like nice things, nice shiny things...

I have searched and googled even asked a duck or two go.

Can someone here advise me how to attain a 100 hour/condition inspection so I can check if Joe's nuts are tight?
How about a maintenance manual?

What neat aircraft you all build and fly. When I have inspected them in the past, the owners and/or builders had all the documents. Joe just bought his and the information he provided was limited.

Thank you guys for your anticipated replies and advice. 72064858013__44BE3962-8063-4DC9-AD55-973CECB700F9.jpgJH id remo far.jpgJH id remo.jpg72064858013__44BE3962-8063-4DC9-AD55-973CECB700F9.jpgJH id remo far.jpgJH id remo.jpg

Nice-looking RV-4!

More info forthcoming but one thing that needs to be done: the open area for the rear stick needs to be covered with something so things don't inadvertently drop down in there and jamb controls....... Passengers can drop cell phones, cameras, etc.................

Last edited:
More info forthcoming but one thing that needs to be done: the open area for the rear stick needs to be covered with something so things don't inadvertently drop down in there and jamb controls....... Passengers can drop cell phones, cameras, etc.................
Nice catch RJ, I can see that.
I've not gotten into this aircraft yet, I took these pictures in Nov23 back when I was inspecting to Navajo.

So, perhaps something like a leather shifter boot? A hard cover, or perhaps a combination of both.

Yeah, cellphone jamming the controls... not something we want the NTSB to discover.

This place is great!

Vic should be chiming in here pretty soon! Search this site for Vic Syracuse. Order his book Maintenance Handbook for Van's RV Aircraft. It will have nearly everything you need to know. And it has a Condition Inspection check list. Pictures are even in COLOR!! The new owner might need his own copy so you might want to order two! ;)

Sure Vic S, absolutely... Ive watched his presentations on FAAST/Eaa seminars during builders week.

Awaiting his 100 hour book as well as considering the Vans Pre-buy book.

Generally, I learn and find the information in the factory manuals much more to my liking.
Automotive, I'll use Haynes or Chilton's if I have to... but give me a FSM any day.

When training for my PPL, my instructor said "Buy the Jepperson book, you'll love it..."
I despise being repeated to as if I didn't hear (read) and understand it the first time as if I am a child. I am sure rote learning works great for some folks and I am not putting anyone down. I know how to stuff information into my brain and Jepperson's style is just not it.

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. With that I nearly aced my written and had a great knowledge base for my oral grilling.
I used similar to self train for my A&P and when I asked my mentor about using the AC 43.13 for additional information, he scoffed...

Anyway, will Vans make the AMM/100hr checklist available to me? I have been looking on the site and I haven't found it yet.
Cheers!

'Walt' has a general one for RV's that he shares on his website:

--> Link to Condition Inspection Checklist in Word document

And a link to Van's SBs & SLs for the RV-4:

Last edited:
as it is an experimental AB every aircraft is different, and there are no "factory" service or maintenance manuals. the best you can do is Vic's book and AC43-13

don't know where in fl you are, but im based at FMY.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Condition inspection checklist I used on my RV4. Yours will be a little different, tailored for your aircraft. Good luck. You’re going to love the RV4.

Attachments

• RV4 condition inspectiondoc 1.pdf
    165.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi Kurt!!
Thanks JohnB...
I did duplicate pix and I hadn't found the ghost colored [EDIT] button yet...
What a great place you guys run here... I am enjoying learning and participating (trying to make a contribution) where I can.

I tried joining Sling forum and they ignored my request and I can't learn anything about them... I guess I'll be crossing them off my list of potential builds (or maintenance/inspections) Their loss... they must be trying to hide something.

Back