What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Autopilot

larywil

Patron
Has anyone ever installed an autopilot in an RV-3? I have yet to find any avionics manufacture include a -3 in their advertising.

I put the Dynon one in my RV-3B, still under construction, though. Paul Dye has the Garmin one in his, which is flying.

Dave

Are you asking about hardware brackets to mount the servos? The pitch servo is mounted at the bell crank just behind the baggage compartment. That’s the only place I’ve seen a servo mounted. As far as the roll servo, it’s either in the wing at the bell crank or under the seat. On my 3 it’s mounted under the seat

Last edited:
I put the Dynon one in my RV-3B, still under construction, though. Paul Dye has the Garmin one in his, which is flying.

Dave

We actually have the TruTrak autopilot customized to work with the G3X. I think it was called the GX Pilot. Has been flawless with both the original G3X and with the upgrade to the G3X Touch.

We rolled our own brackets for both pitch and roll based on how it’s done in other RV’s. Pitch is in the usual spot by the pitch bellcrank, and roll is out in the wing next to the aileron bellcrank. It is very tight in the skinny wing, but works.

Paul

Here's a shot of the Dynon roll servo in my wing.

AP Roll Brackets.jpg

I used the stock Dynon brackets. For the ends of the servo pushrod, I used some plates I made that serve the same purpose but which are lighter than the wide steel washers commonly used.

Dave

Back