What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Wiring gotcha PG 56-04

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Found a typo on the wiring diagram. The two loose wires from the aft part of the tail cone that are part of the elevator trim system are show in effect going through the luggage wall bulkhead so that they can plug into C411P but then are jumper-ed on C431J Dynon and C411J Garmin connectors to wires going back forward to the cockpit. (1st picture with Servos)

There is no logical reason for this wiring loop de loop. I asked Van's and they agree and are not sure why it was drawn like that.

I am enclosing a before and after of what the Dynon wiring set up should look like. Everything forward of the dashed grey line is connectors located in the cockpit. everything aft is in the tail. The dotted circle in my diagram represents the hole under the C411J connector. (picture 1) By wiring directly you will not put a strain on the wires that were being forced to do a 180 deg bend, and are opening up 2 pin locations for other wires if needed.

Also on my wiring harness from Dynon the Red/White Yaw Disconnect wire is cut off and not pinned into the connector for some reason.

1711925849754.png

1711925880398.png

1711926471490.png

Last edited:
Isn’t it that way because it allows for Garmin servos to be used where the trim wires go from the gsa28 to the trim motor?

For a dynon install, they are jumpered so they in effect travel from the trim motor to the panel.

So if I understand correctly for Garmin there are no jumpers and for Dynon not required as one can connect directly. So the Jumpers are not needed for either it looks like.

De
So if I understand correctly for Garmin there are no jumpers and for Dynon not required as one can connect directly. So the Jumpers are not needed for either it looks like.
Depends I guess on if a builder wants to use the vans harnesses or not. I threw mine away and did it myself. For Garmin the Van’s harness doesn’t use shielded wire for a PWM power signal as per the Garmin manual.

It’s not really a typo in their diagrams - it’s just the way they decided to do it to make the harness compatible with both manufacturers. If using dynon, your way would make more sense that the way it was designed.

Back