What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Tailwheel Options

rdt7

Patron
I'm working on my emmpanage and staring to wonder about tail wheel options. I've heard about the Bearhawk option and it sounds like it may be more robust than the one Vans supplies. Are there other options? Those of you flying tailwheels do you wish you'd used something other than the one supplied by Vans?

I'm working on my emmpanage and staring to wonder about tail wheel options. I've heard about the Bearhawk option and it sounds like it may be more robust than the one Vans supplies. Are there other options? Those of you flying tailwheels do you wish you'd used something other than the one supplied by Vans?
I have the JDAir setup with the lightweight tailwheel on my -14 and love it. The tire is solid rubber so on rough surfaces it is a little, well, rough. I also like the control arm vs using tailwheel springs but others prefer springs. So you have to make that decision before you decide which tailwheel you will ultimately install.

JDAir.com

JDAir RV-14 Tailwheel & Steering Link

I started with the Vans solid rubber "shopping cart" tailwheel. It made it about 50 hours before the bearing began eating itself, then I switched to the lightweight tailwheel from Vans, which I like better. I use the Van's supplied tailwheel springs, but with less than the recommended slack. I am well satisfied with this setup and its performance. Most (95%) of my flying is from paved runways, btw.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
Blake has what you need, including the original RV/Rocket steering link, Delux tire, and other tailwheel options.
Im told that the Flyboy setup does not work well on the -14 cuz of the bent stinger and resultant angle difference for the rocket steering link.
I have a full Flyboy setup on my flying -7 and love it. Am anxiously awaiting the FLyboy workout for the -14. (The JDAir is nice, but too pricey for me.)
Maybe Blake can give us all an update here.

Over the last 20 years and two RV-7's, I think I've tried every combination of tailwheel, tailwheel yoke, and steering link that were available - except for the Air Products yoke.

I settled on the JD Airparts kit for the Yoke, Tailwheel, Steering link. No issues on concrete, pavement, or grass. Tailwheel is responsive but not twitchy, IMHO.

IMG_4425.jpeg

RV-14 Stinger with JD Air RV-14 Yoke

IMG_3298.jpeg

Over the last 20 years and two RV-7's, I think I've tried every combination of tailwheel, tailwheel yoke, and steering link that were available - except for the Air Products yoke.

I settled on the JD Airparts kit for the Yoke, Tailwheel, Steering link. No issues on concrete, pavement, or grass. Tailwheel is responsive but not twitchy, IMHO.

View attachment 58894

RV-14 Stinger with JD Air RV-14 Yoke

View attachment 58895

Excellent info. I'll be flying about 50-50 on grass and pavement. Probably not on anything too rough. I'm leaning towards the Bearhawk thinking it just may be a little smoother than a solid wheel.

350h on Vans "light" tailwheel. No problems whatsoever.
1/3 of my landings are on pavement, 1/3 on grass and the rest on unprepared pastures

Excellent info. I'll be flying about 50-50 on grass and pavement. Probably not on anything too rough. I'm leaning towards the Bearhawk thinking it just may be a little smoother than a solid wheel.
A benefit of the solid wheel is that you’ll never get stranded with a flat tire..I have the lightweight wheel on a JD assembly. It could be a little loud taxing over rough pavement, but it’s the best setup for me imo..

Back