What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Door handle / lock mods

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Looking for any suggestions of good door handle mods that can be added retroactively to replace the stock ones. I am not a big fan of the stock ones and the blocks the pins go into are shot. I saw somewhere metal inserts to replace these.

Any suggestions? I see aero sport makes low profile ones.

Thank you!

I retrofitted the Aerosport handles. They work great and look good!IMG_3029.JPG

Attachments

• RV-10 Low Profile Handle.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
tempImage7ae8Bs.png
Hendricks Manufacturing makes these. They come with a hole for a standard lock cylinder. They require extra work but I used the rods, pins and Delron that came with the Van's latch system. This pic is after 1,400 hrs. They are very nice latch /lock.

Looking for any suggestions of good door handle mods that can be added retroactively to replace the stock ones. I am not a big fan of the stock ones and the blocks the pins go into are shot. I saw somewhere metal inserts to replace these.

Any suggestions? I see aero sport makes low profile ones.

Thank you!
Tbh I’d probably just replace the blocks and live with it.
The blocks don’t hold the pins anyway, they penetrate the bulkheads. So I assume the pins are doing that and it’s just not very smooth because the blocks are worn?

The stock door blocks do that because the longitudinal pins pull the door inboard as it closes. Then you flick down the center latch.
The aerosport one works in reverse, the center cam pulls the door in before the pins engage fully. So you see little block wear. Plus it’s impossible to forget the center latch.

It wouldnt be a massive job to retrofit the aerosport one but It wouldn’t be trivial.
I looked at the Hendricks ones too when I was building but they were unavailable at the time. They are very neat but will require significant surgery to your door internally and externally to make it work. I wouldn’t recommend that on a completed door unless you have a strong fiberglass game.

Good luck.

Back