What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 cargo hauler....

pierre smith

Well Known Member
I flew my -10 to Hot Springs, Arkansas, on Tuesday, hauling my PT-6 gearbox in the back, to a turbine shop. At 140 lbs, it all balanced out nicely and the 600 mile trip took 3 1/2 hours, with quartering headwinds of 46-50 MPH.

GearboxinRV.jpg

I noticed the slight amount of down elevator, since I was solo with the equivalent of a passenger in the rear, making for a much better CG and the resulting added 2 MPH was sweet, at 7,500', 75% power, 205 MPH TAS! Fastest I've seen yet, at 75%, on the way home today.

I flew 68% out there, LOP and made 190 MPH TAS, with a fuel burn of only 11.7 GPH. The Dynon showed me a range of 950 miles and over 5 hours of fuel.

Best,

Not me!

All right...I'll say it...Pierre, time for a new jacket.:D

That's my stepson, James, who's now an aspiring A&P, building RV's and general "mechanicking" at Ray Lawrence's builder assist center. He "stole" my old blue "work" jacket...fleece-lined and warm...free grease stains:) He's also a Marine reservist and has completed basic at Parris Island and their diesel mechanic course at Camp LeJeune, N.C....I'm very proud of the young man!

BTW, I'm running a Hartzell blended airfoil, two-bladed prop...so far the fastest prop for a -10 that money can buy. I've been in other RV's with three-bladed composite props...purty but oh, so much slower.

Best,

Last edited:
Oh, well then. If he's gonna A&P he might as well get used to the frayed sleeves. A little duct tape around the instep like a rodeo guy is good too.

Back