What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running electrical connections and cables to aft mounted components?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is an electrical question or a building question. RV8 if that matters.
I have several components installed aft of the aft baggage compartment. Remote Comm, Xpndr, ADSB, ADAHRS and ELT. All of these require wire and cable runs forward to the Instrument panel. The standard wire run on the starboard side is already filled with the battery cable. Port side wire runs are filling fast with A/P, trim, VS beacon and aft strobe. I have a free opening through the wing spar on the port side, but am stymied by the next two bulkheads going aft, F-806 and F-807.
It looks like I need one additional hole of about 5/8" in the vicinity (keeping an eye on edge distance, of course) of the existing rudder cable and wiring run holes.
Is there something I'm not seeing?

Not sure about the RV-8 but Vans has published a drawing showing the approved locations of holes through the spar carrythrough for the RV-7/9(A). I have remote XPDR, Stormscope, ELT and strobe power supply as well as remote magnetometer on the aft fuselage, and I can tell you I have filled up all of the holes that Vans has approved. Check with Vans to see if there is a similar spar carrythrough hole document

Not the spar carry-through. I have a spare hole there. I need to carry the cables further aft and the holes provided beneath the floor at bulkhead F807 and F806 are not sufficient. Considering drilling an additional hole in those on the port side.

OP here. Closing the loop on this. I spoke to the Mothership today, and here was their recommendation. Make sure you ask your own questions should you find yourself in a similar situation. We are all alike, but none of us is exactly the same.
Reference the OP11 Wiring Harness drawing. Look at Detail Q at the very bottom left corner of the drawing. The detail shows the Rudder Cable hole and allows for a 3/4" hole for wiring. I needed another 3/4" hole which would be reduced to a 5/8" ID hole by the grommet. Adding an additional hole where the other two are is possible, but gets crowded. Adding a hole on the right side of the detail beyond the three rivet holes is in the area of the flap linkage, and so there are issues there. The best solution is to add a hole inboard of the 3/4" hole on the other side of the F-814 floor rib. Mirror the vertical placement of the other 3/4" hole at 1 7/8" below the top of the floor bulkhead and also approximately the same 5/8" horizontal distance from the rib, though this can be increased a bit. Stay well away from the control linkage for obvious reasons.

Back