What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim

g zero

Well Known Member
Came up with a simple in flight adjustable rudder trim . Used a SS turnbuckle and some AN hardware attached to the passenger rudder pedal.
Easy to dial in the ball and quickly removable.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 318
No Springs?

So you have to disconnect this before you can move the rudder? That would make it more like a control lock than trim. Not a great idea in flight. What am I missing?

Trim

So you have to disconnect this before you can move the rudder? That would make it more like a control lock than trim. Not a great idea in flight. What am I missing?

It’s for cross country auto pilot trips …4 hour legs at 10,000ft ……

Similar concept, incorporating a bungee. Other end hooks into a hole in the rear seat mushroom. On for cruise, off for everything else.

Attachments

• Bungee Clip.jpg
    Bungee Clip.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 137
Interesting. I may borrow this idea. While testing, I found that I need a smidgen of right rudder to keep it coordinated.

Similar concept, incorporating a bungee. Other end hooks into a hole in the rear seat mushroom. On for cruise, off for everything else.

I tried the Para Cord first with a plastic clip that fit into the gear tower … couldn’t “Dial it in “ for my OCD Needs 😂.

It’s for cross country auto pilot trips …4 hour legs at 10,000ft ……

So things don't sometimes happen during those 4 hours at 10K that might require immediate emergency use of the rudder? Wake turbulence? Mountain wave? Not sure how a locked control system at any time is acceptable. (Maybe I'm not understanding how it works?)

So things don't sometimes happen during those 4 hours at 10K that might require immediate emergency use of the rudder? Wake turbulence? Mountain wave? Not sure how a locked control system at any time is acceptable. (Maybe I'm not understanding how it works?)

Take a look at the pic …. The turnbuckle sits on an 3 bolt / pin …. Any Knuckle Head with a GED could remove it quickly 😂

Came up with a simple in flight adjustable rudder trim . Used a SS turnbuckle and some AN hardware attached to the passenger rudder pedal.
Easy to dial in the ball and quickly removable.

Forget the rudder trim, I want to know more about the 'Ejection' switch. You have live ejection seats in that thing? :)

Trim

Right rudder pedal spring slightly heavier than left. Attached to a homemade vernier control. Concept dates to a Sport Aviation magazine from the 60's??
Works perfect, no locked controls

Take a look at the pic …. The turnbuckle sits on an 3 bolt / pin …. Any Knuckle Head with a GED could remove it quickly 😂

That's so foolproof that I'm sure all the major manufacturers will now adopt it. :rolleyes:

Seems like a surprisingly bad idea to me, but hey...you do you.

Right rudder pedal spring slightly heavier than left. Attached to a homemade vernier control. Concept dates to a Sport Aviation magazine from the 60's??
Works perfect, no locked controls

Can you post a link to the thread where you shared this with us before? I thought it was a very thoughtful mod and had it on my list of things to work on "one of these days." I cannot find it searching.

Last edited:
Avoid tying bungees to your rudder pedals along with manual controlled trim tabs or permanent wedges and just install a yaw damper. Reacts to gusts, thermals, and other external forces (lazy feet) immediately. Pics with and w/o yaw damper on. and off. I really like mine (And so does my passenger)

Attachments

• YAWOFF.jpg
    YAWOFF.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 26
  • YAWON.jpg
    YAWON.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 26
Copied this idea from another builder. I personally would never lock a control axis while in flight.

Fully adjustable, has no noticeable effect on ground handling or if you forget to adjust it after an extended climb or something. This could easily be 3D printed if someone wanted to take the time.

Attachments

• PXL_20220806_205000813.jpg
    PXL_20220806_205000813.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 34
Back