What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Stop Location

jdiehl

Well Known Member
I've been attempting to work through the FAA FSDO inspection and they're concerned that the rudder cable (if slack) could end up over-riding the top of the rudder stop(s) and adversely impact control of the rudder. I've drilled out the rivets holding the stops in place and plan on raising them as far as practical, assuring that there's still adequate contact with the rudder stop bracket (on the rudder). I was even thinking of riveting on a piece of .063 bar atop the rudder stop to give it more height, further diminishing the chance that the cable could conceivably slip over the top.
Any folks dealing with a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Diehl
N891DD
Piper Memorial Airport, Pa

The rudder stop is above the cables (by the plans, see picture below) so the cable has a long way to go, in a negative G, in order to go over the stop. It doesn't seem very likely. I would ask Van's if they've ever had a report of this happening and if not, show the inspector that the stops are installed as the plans call for them.

Regarding the internal stop, I originally installed one but I didn't like the amount of stress it put on the lower hinge so I opted to install the stops per the plans.

IMG_0618.jpg

Last edited:
7000 RV's flying and you have to find the one yokel at the FSDO who hasn't seen one before. If he even looked at the configuration, he'd see that it's next to impossible for the cable to get bent into that configuration. He might as well be concerned that the slack cable would get flipped around the tailwheel if it swivelled forwards...

Back