What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Horn question

Cessnadog

Sponsor
Ok, due to laser cut parts I am getting ready to rebuild the tail fins on my 14A.
Looking in the Vans store at some of the parts I might optionally replace to not have to disassemble the previous rudder I see what seems to be a change to the Rudder Horn. Specifically there are two bushings (VA-137) shown in the store that I never saw in my kit. But I can not find any reference to this change, and none of the construction manuals I can find show the bushings.

Thoughts?

IMG_1813.png

I think these are pre-pressed into the part. May part had them installed.
It was a running change that was made because of the discovery of wear causing elongation of the holes after a lot of flight hours.
It is not a change that is critical for anyone to do, and can be incorporated at sometime in the future when elongation in the holes is discovered.

Some might say, how would it be discovered if you don’t ever take it apart?

The difference between someone without experience, doing inspections, and someone with experience doing inspections is that the experienced inspector learns that they can see as much by touch as they can with their eyes.
When inspecting touch everything.
If it is supposed to move, smoothly, touch it and verify that it does
If it is supposed to move, but not have access, play, touch it and make sure it does.
If it is not supposed to move, touch it and make sure it doesn’t.

It was a running change that was made because of the discovery of wear causing elongation of the holes after a lot of flight hours.
It is not a change that is critical for anyone to do, and can be incorporated at sometime in the future when elongation in the holes is discovered.

Some might say, how would it be discovered if you don’t ever take it apart?

The difference between someone without experience, doing inspections, and someone with experience doing inspections is that the experienced inspector learns that they can see as much by touch as they can with their eyes.
When inspecting touch everything.
If it is supposed to move, smoothly, touch it and verify that it does
If it is supposed to move, but not have access, play, touch it and make sure it does.
If it is not supposed to move, touch it and make sure it doesn’t.
Wow, this seems like a worthwhile item to accomplish BEFORE the bolt elongates the hole.
Knowing this, I have a couple of questions:

1) Can the VA-137 bushings be installed without taking the rudder off the aircraft (seems that its possible)?
2) What drill and reamer do you need to install the VA-137 bushings?

Thank you for posting this and any other information you can provide.

I will say that I did look and the bushings were pre-installed in my horn delivered in 2022.
I can’t address the latest questions.

Back