What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder dimpling

JohnJacobsen

Just looking at the rudder ribs and trying to figure out how to dimple the aft end. My hand squeeze will not fit. Can anyone give me some ideas.

I remember these holes - I think that I used the pop rivet dimpling tool for these last couple of holes.

dimpling rudder

JohnJacobsen said:
Just looking at the rudder ribs and trying to figure out how to dimple the aft end. My hand squeeze will not fit. Can anyone give me some ideas.

Use a no-hole yoke, put the male dimple die in the yoke, then take a piece of duct tape and fold it on itself, then stick this on the flat part of the no-hole yoke, stick the female dimple die to the duct tape, and wah-la!
Mark Andrews N598X

Even on the fuse/wings/finish, I don't think 1/8" pop rivet dimpler was needed. The 3/32" is real handy though.

The dimples aren't as crisp, but sometimes you've got no other choice.

A way that you can improve pop-dimples, or any other dimple is to take your deburring tool and spin it around a couple times in the dimple. This flattens the walls of the dimple and makes the rivet sit down in there real nice.

Regards,

Dimples

Jeff,
I think I would use the word "cuts", not flattens to describe what you are doing.
Remember that 0.002 off a 0.025 skin is 8% of the thickness, and this is in an area that has already been thinned by the dimpling action.
I would get better dies, countersinking (cutting) with a deburring tool is somewhat of an uncontrolled process.....

gil in Tucson EAA Tech. Counselor

---------------------------------------------------
A way that you can improve pop-dimples, or any other dimple is to take your deburring tool and spin it around a couple times in the dimple. This flattens the walls of the dimple and makes the rivet sit down in there real nice.

Regards,

I am finishing up my rudder now. I dimpled those using the vise grip dimplers from Avery. The pop rivet dimpler doesn't work there because there is no room to get the nail into the dimple dies. The vise grip dimpler is made for these kinds of locations and worked perfectly..

Now if I can just figure out how to squeeze those last 2 rivets on each side on top and the last one on the bottom, I'll be set... I'd rather not use blind rivets... Maybe I'll find a 'thin bucking bar' like Vans suggested. Anyone have any tips for this one?

sorta like what i did -- i got a $3 ax from harbor freight,
then "shaped" it a little on the grinder to make my thin
bucking bar.

john

Well, I thought about it a bunch and looked around. All the wrenches I had were too light when they were thin enough, and nothing else looked good. So I took a good look one of the bucking bars from the avery kit. I had to do some not-so-nice things to it to get it to fit. After being thoroughly violated, the bar came out looking like this, and the rivets got smashed just fine (not as perfect as the others, but good enough!)

DSCN6080s.png

Back