What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll rate: 9 vs 12

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
icon1.gif
Roll rate: 9 vs 12

...this post originally from 'RV6Junkie' - split off to new thread

From Van's site "?even from the ground we could tell the roll rate was pretty snappy. Van said it felt at least as quick as the RV-9"

How does the roll rate of the -9 compare to that of the other RV's? Anyone have any actual experience?

I haven't measured it as in degrees per second, but I've flown the 6A, 7A, and I own a 9A.

Below Va, the 9 is very quick - I wouldn't say its just as quick as the 7A but it feels like the other RVs below Va. You can roll a 90 degree left turn to a 90 degree right turn in a blink. And like the other RVs, its like it's on rails - very precise. The 9A stiffens up with speed and it takes a lot of pressure to push the stick to the stops at elevated speeds. In fact, I've not pushed it all the way to the stops above Va.

I'd be curious to know at what speed the comparison of the 12 and 9 roll rates hold true. I tend to think that statement is more of a marketing ploy - to persuade potential customers that it's a 'real RV'.

Accorging to the CAFE Foundation, the roll rate measured on Van's demo N129RV was 53 rt./61 left at Va and 40 rt./42 left at 1.3 Vso.

They also show data on an 8A at 109rt./102 left and 78rt./80 left.

Makes sense, the 9 has a longer and different airfoil. Not as good for yank and bank, but more stable as an instrument platform.

These numbers are degrees per second and include input time. You can look up their website at www.cafefoundation.org

Back