What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

removing sabre prop extension

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm removing my engine to send to Aero Sport for repair.
A couple of questions about removing my Sabre prop extension:
1) Per the instructions, I used blue loctite when i installed. To remove, do i simply heat with a heat-gun?
2) How do I prevent the prop-flange/flywheel from turning while i turn the bolts? I forget how this was done when i installed the extension, and I don't see mention of this in the installation instructions.

I'm removing my engine to send to Aero Sport for repair.
A couple of questions about removing my Sabre prop extension:
1) Per the instructions, I used blue loctite when i installed. To remove, do i simply heat with a heat-gun?
2) How do I prevent the prop-flange/flywheel from turning while i turn the bolts? I forget how this was done when i installed the extension, and I don't see mention of this in the installation instructions.

You don’t need heat for blue Loctite. I use old prop long bolts and a large wrench or breaker bar between those bolts threaded 10 or so threads into the unused threads. Then leverage that bar or wrench as you loosen and turn the bolts out.

Leave the propeller on with just hand tight bolts until you have loosened the extension bolts.

I didn’t use Locktite on my extension bolts, they are safety wired.

I use a cordless impact gun! As others have said blue loctite doesn't need anything special, but the extension may be tough to remove from the engine, a bar that can be clamped to two of the prop bolts may be required.

No, it needs to turn while tapping. Cordless "drill/drivers" are not that expensive and turn out to be very useful elsewhere. Ever need to change the chain and sprockets on your motorcycle?

Back