What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Canopy Keeper Rivets

samray

Does anyone have a reliable method for removing the rv8 canopy keeper rivets? The technique of drilling out pop rivets in aluminum by turning the drill chuck by hand doesn't work because the soft plexiglass allows the rivet to spin. A rat tail file could be used open up the hollow stem hole enough to pop off the head with a pin punch but that is a *lot* of filing. Any ideas are appreciated!

Does anyone have a reliable method for removing the rv8 canopy keeper rivets? The technique of drilling out pop rivets in aluminum by turning the drill chuck by hand doesn't work because the soft plexiglass allows the rivet to spin. A rat tail file could be used to open up the hollow stem hole enough to pop off the head with a pin punch but that is a *lot* of filing. Any ideas are appreciated!

Last edited:
I would use a pencil grinder. It's uses miniature rotary files and is very easy to use. I got mine from matco tools.

After some experimentation, a 3/32 reamer followed by a 1/8 reamer works great with an electric drill at low speeds. No biting in like a twist drill so the rivet doesn't turn.

Back