What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended avionics for training

N916K

Well Known Member
I'm sure this info is out there, I just can't seem to find it.

What is the recommmended avionics you should have in your plane before starting instrument training? Currently I have an EFIS, NAV/COM, VOR head, turn and bank, and vertical card compass. I don't have a glideslope but I can add one quite easily. I have been thinking about getting a Garmin 300XL down the road.

What do you experienced instrument pilots think??

Cam,

The following link is a breakdown of requirements regarding IFR flight with reference to EFIS systems. It's an EAA produced document, and it's on the Blue Mountain site (easier to find than the EAA site):

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/pdf/IFR equipment.pdf

After that, I think you should learn/practice with what you plan on flying with.

Without a glideslope you'll be limited to Localizer or VOR approaches, which is fine. But if you plan on putting in a GPS, I'd do it before (or during) so you can get the experience with it before you need it.

One of the biggest problems experienced by pilots in IMC conditions is becoming distracted and losing control. No better way to do this than trying to figure out how you're avionics work, by yourself, in the soup!

My $0.02 anyway.

Dave

Is sticking with just a VOR going to be a real problem?
Does the glideslope open up quite a bit to me that an approach GPS wouldn't?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just doing the book work now for my instrument ticket and it doesn't really get into the practical part of flying much. I keep running in to the line about needing avionics that are appropiate for the field, that's great but what is a typical field.

Thanks

For what it's worth, the Navy primary trainers, T-34s, don't have a glideslope, and they teach instrument training and fly XC all over the country with only a VOR/LOC. However, they do lots of ground controlled (PAR and ASR) approaches. Also, every ILS approach (that would require G/S) has two parts. You can always just do the LOC approach with the ILS frequency. As far as the GPS goes, take a look at the fields you'll likely fly into (homefield, friend's fields, etc). See if they have a VOR approach. Most small fields cannot afford ILS/LOC systems, but a VOR is much cheaper to maintain so you'll find lots of VOR approaches to small airports.

In short. there are no fields that REQUIRE glideslope, but they do increase the safety margin. The GPS is unbeatable for fields without a VOR approach, but most fields you'll use are still serviced by VOR approaches, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Hi Cam,

Sounds like you're pretty well equipped to get started. As you've already said, a G/S receiver and a certified GPS is all you could possibly add...

The only thing you'll really miss by not having the G/S receiver is the lower minimums offered by most ILS approaches. As you've probably seen by now, most ILS approaches offer a 200' decision altitude. I'm not terribly familiar with GPS approaches, but I don't think you'll find any that will get you that low. Depending on terrain, VOR approaches will have minimums from around 350 to 600' AGL.

As somebody else already pointed out, whenever you add avionics or additional capability, you should definitely get with a safety pilot and go flying before you start messing with the new stuff in actual conditions.

Another thing to keep in mind as you start your instrument training... Get your instructor in your plane in VISUAL conditions before you even start doing hood work. Many instructors will not be familiar with the EFIS Primary Flight Display concept.

The last thing you need is to be doing training in instrument conditions start having problems controlling the airplane. You're capable of interpreting your PFD, but not controlling the aircraft... Your instructor would be capable of controlling the aircraft... but for the fact that he's unfamiliar with the PFD presentation and can't accurately interpret the display!

I know it took me a few minutes of flying in IMC before I was comfortable with the PFD concept.

Congratulations on pursuing your instrument rating. The "written" exam is one of the toughest you'll take and the rating itself will do more to make you a better pilot than virtually anything else you'll do in your aviation career from this point forward.

Best regards,

Rod Woodard
CFI-I

But what about getting a CFII in my RV

I understand it can be a bit tricky getting an instructor in a homebuilt. Ayone know of one in the Detroit area that has worked with homebuilts?

Less is sometimes more

Acquiring an instrument rating requires very specific tasks to be accomplished, not a lot of options on equip. there.

However, for those with the rating who seek to fly mostly VFR with occasional brief periods of IFR a single VOR receiver is the real standout in my opinion.

As already mentioned most airports are served well by VOR. Also the LOC approaches can usually be flown if they don't require DME. Additionally a LOC can really help find the correct runway even in VFR or night conditions.

Real world example:

Jan 29-30 in Houston TX. Most of the state was IFR with ceilings about 1000'. Tops were between 2000' and 5000' clear above. Much of the GA fleet was hangar flying.

I'm an airline type and was out all day both days doing short hops mostly within TX. Over 2 days my crew and I did 13 approaches(10 ILSs, and 3 VOR), none down to minimums. The VOR would have worked in every situation but we typically choose to fly the ILS where available simply to conform to the flow of traffic.

Technology and gadgetry are great and I use them often. But if I were on a budget and wanted to be very flexible with trip planning in my imaginary RV4 I would install a VOR. Add a handheld GPS for awareness, a good COMM to talk to ATC/FSS and go anywhere the other folks do on a lot less money.

Yeeeeouch. 13 approaches in 2 days equals AT LEAST 13 legs. Wow. :eek:

That's a bunch. Luckily, those days are distant in my rear view mirror. These days, I whine like a schoolgirl if I have to do more than 3 legs in any given day.

I bow to the the Instrument Ninja among us. :D

Rod Woodard
former Beech 1900 pilot
now a lazy button-pusher

N916K said:
I understand it can be a bit tricky getting an instructor in a homebuilt. Ayone know of one in the Detroit area that has worked with homebuilts?

Cam,

One of the guys at EAA Chapter 13 is a CFII, and very active long time EAA'er. Private me if you wnat me to ask him about your question. I'll probably be seeing him this Thursday.

Dave

Back