What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recent Court Filings re: Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation

mikebee

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the US Trustee (i.e. the Department of Justice) recently filed an objection to Van's proposed plan insofar as (1) it holds back 20% of projected income for reinvestment of the business; (2) only provides for payment of 55% of general unsecured creditor claim amounts over three years instead of actual disposable income and more percentage over five years; and (3) does not provide default and remedies after confirmation:

In today's court filings, Vans argues that it should not have to extend/increase payments to unsecured creditors over five years because its existing plan technically meets the requirements. 83 people returned acceptances of the plan (and 11 returned rejections), so Vans is able to argue that the general unsecured creditors "overwhelmingly voted to approve the Plan as a three-year plan." Vans argues that if the plan is not confirmed with a three-year term, then essentially the entire company will cease operations and be liquidated -- i.e. Mr. Van Grunsven's loans to the company will be called, the case will convert to Chapter 7, all of the company assets will be liquidated, over 100 employees will be fired, all of the pending orders will be cancelled, etc etc.:

Although not raised in any of the filed documents by the UST or Vans, I'm going to add that the Plan does not account -- or provide any funding -- for potential future claims arising from LCP, for example, if someone dies in an accident resulting from defects in parts that Vans published were "acceptable." The Plan said that a $5,000,000 reserve was created pre-petition for LCP replacement parts pre-petition, but does not indicate that any such reserve exists for the Plan itself. It is unclear whether there is potential insurance coverage for any such claims. Likewise, in the 4/12/24 Vans youtube video Mr. Hamstreet indicated that Vans plans to reject claims exceeding deposit amounts (i.e. for additional costs and damages to builders resulting from LCP including but not limited to those who received QB kits that had LCPs who wanted a replacement QB kit instead of just replacement parts).

The Plan provides that Vans can object to those claims up to 60 days after the Plan is confirmed (i.e. July 31 if confirmed on May 15 as currently set for hearing). The 5/11/24 Vans youtube video last week says that they hope to substantially complete all LCP replacements "by July" (even though Mr. Hamstreet's declaration says "by November" which is even different from his video which says "October). They're also now staffing people to make phone calls asking to make final orders for LCP replacements. In sum, this isn't like the Takata bankruptcy where there was a fund created to pay out for the damages caused by the defective products. Here, Vans will object to all of the claimed costs/damages resulting from LCP and complete their LCP replacement parts program, and then argue in the future that any injuries will not be the company's responsibility by characterizing any LCP-related claims as "pre-petition" that have already been handled by the Plan.

P.S. I thought it was interesting from the amended schedules that Joby Aviation purchased and leased two SLSA RV-12is planes for their training program.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the US Trustee (i.e. the Department of Justice) recently filed an objection to Van's proposed plan insofar as (1) it holds back 20% of projected income for reinvestment of the business; (2) only provides for payment of 55% of general unsecured creditor claim amounts over three years instead of actual disposable income and more percentage over five years; and (3) does not provide default and remedies after confirmation:

In today's court filings, Vans argues that it should not have to extend/increase payments to unsecured creditors over five years because its existing plan technically meets the requirements. 83 people returned acceptances of the plan (and 11 returned rejections), so Vans is able to argue that the general unsecured creditors "overwhelmingly voted to approve the Plan as a three-year plan." Vans argues that if the plan is not confirmed with a three-year term, then essentially the entire company will cease operations and be liquidated -- i.e. Mr. Van Grunsven's loans to the company will be called, the case will convert to Chapter 7, all of the company assets will be liquidated, over 100 employees will be fired, all of the pending orders will be cancelled, etc etc.:

Although not raised in any of the filed documents by the UST or Vans, I'm going to add that the Plan does not account -- or provide any funding -- for potential future claims arising from LCP, for example, if someone dies in an accident resulting from defects in parts that Vans published were "acceptable." The Plan said that a $5,000,000 reserve was created pre-petition for LCP replacement parts pre-petition, but does not indicate that any such reserve exists for the Plan itself. It is unclear whether there is potential insurance coverage for any such claims. Likewise, in the 4/12/24 Vans youtube video Mr. Hamstreet indicated that Vans plans to reject claims exceeding deposit amounts (i.e. for additional costs and damages to builders resulting from LCP including but not limited to those who received QB kits that had LCPs who wanted a replacement QB kit instead of just replacement parts).

The Plan provides that Vans can object to those claims up to 60 days after the Plan is confirmed (i.e. July 31 if confirmed on May 15 as currently set for hearing). The 5/11/24 Vans youtube video last week says that they hope to substantially complete all LCP replacements "by July" (even though Mr. Hamstreet's declaration says "by November" which is even different from his video which says "October). They're also now staffing people to make phone calls asking to make final orders for LCP replacements. In sum, this isn't like the Takata bankruptcy where there was a fund created to pay out for the damages caused by the defective products. Here, Vans will object to all of the claimed costs/damages resulting from LCP and complete their LCP replacement parts program, and then argue in the future that any injuries will not be the company's responsibility by characterizing any LCP-related claims as "pre-petition" that have already been handled by the Plan.

P.S. I thought it was interesting from the amended schedules that Joby Aviation purchased and leased two SLSA RV-12is planes for their training program.
Seems to me that if the total dollar amount of rejections is $250k, that this should easily be dealt with rather than declaring Chapter 7 and costing everyone millions.

Yes the rejections don’t have the margin by a long shot so if the customers are willing to accept the terms under the plan hopefully the court can over rule the objection in favour of the current plan. No good will come of Vans going chapter 7 to anyone.

Yeah I thought the same! Intimidation like that won’t do Vans any good however way you see it!

It’s a bluff. There’s no universe in which Van would allow them to liquidate. It would open up a bidding war for outsiders to own his company with his name on it. It’s worth more to him as an ongoing business. That’s why they’ve set up this entire proceeding to be a heads-I-win, tails-you-lose scenario. The original filing was under Subchapter V which limits the amounts of unsecured creditors so that a creditor committee is not formed to put the debtor in check. They needed those 70% reorders so that the unsecured debt was low enough to continue proceeding under Subchapter V and not be subject to increased scrutiny. But when someone now calls the plan unfair, they threaten the nuclear option that “nobody will get their parts or kits.” It’s the only way to get uninformed people who want parts to go along with the plan even though it’s not in their individual or collective interests. Everybody will be paying more, and Van will have a more valuable asset after this is all over. Even after all of the QC failures, and management and accounting errors.

I think we are risking going down a bad road if we start making assumptions about one man’s motivations.
Let’s try to stick to the facts and what is known.

So the confirmation hearing is tomorrow. Do we find out pretty much straight away if the plan is confirmed or not?

So the confirmation hearing is tomorrow. Do we find out pretty much straight away if the plan is confirmed or not?
The Judge has the ultimate control. He may overrule the Treasury Dept. on the spot and approve the plan, allow them to argue further, accept the arguments and force Vans hand, require more information from Vans etc….
Those are just possible scenarios off the top of my head.
They typically do not want to keep punting as the company is functioning now in contingency and there needs to be an end, one way or another. You will often hear “Time is of the essence” in these proceedings.
So, we just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

I think we are risking going down a bad road if we start making assumptions about one man’s motivations.
Let’s try to stick to the facts and what is known.
Interesting that we don’t see this type of response comment when the posts are about “the company wants to do the right thing for its customers” as opposed to sticking to what is in the court filings. We have to acknowledge the existence of money-driven motivations because they are the reality of all bankruptcies.

Back