What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio replacement doesn't fit!

Funguy

Well Known Member
I made a totally rookie error. My venerable GNC250XL is heading west with a bad battery problem. So I purchased a GTR200B to replace it without realising that it is significantly longer than the old unit which is mounted lower center console. It would appear to be impossible to mount the new unit without cutting into the structure to accommodate the additional length. The long connector just adds to the issue. Anyone run into this in the past? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

Very common problem. I don't know what a "center console" is though. Typically radios are installed in the panel. And the sub-panel often is in the way. Especially on tip-up 6 which has less space to the sub-panel than the slider does.

The 250 is indeed a pretty short package - there really aren't any current-manufacture panel-mount radios that will fit in the same depth.

If you have a G3X installed you might want to consider going to the GTR 20 remote-mounted radio and control it with the G3X.

If you don't have a G3X installed you might wish to consider some of the alternatives out there.

First on the list would be the Trig Ty91 - it's a "two piece" radio with a small 2 1/4" diameter control head and a remote-mounted transceiver box. Without knowing how your aircraft is configured it would be hard to recommend how best to mount it but if you check the dimensions you might find a way to mount it in something close to the same space as that previously occupied by the 250XL.

Very common problem. I don't know what a "center console" is though. Typically radios are installed in the panel. And the sub-panel often is in the way. Especially on tip-up 6 which has less space to the sub-panel than the slider does.

I should reword that to: the location is the lower center of the panel. I have a slider.

Thanks!

Cheers, Sean

I made a totally rookie error. My venerable GNC250XL is heading west with a bad battery problem. So I purchased a GTR200B to replace it without realising that it is significantly longer than the old unit which is mounted lower center console. It would appear to be impossible to mount the new unit without cutting into the structure to accommodate the additional length. The long connector just adds to the issue. Anyone run into this in the past? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

This is a very common issue. Basically, you cut a hole in the sub-panel for the radio, then install a doubler around the opening.

First on the list would be the Trig Ty91 - it's a "two piece" radio with a small 2 1/4" diameter control head and a remote-mounted transceiver box.

Trig is a good option, the business end can be mounted on the rudder pedal brace, on the back of the sub-panel or on one of the fore-aft ribs.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I was unsure about cutting out the sub-panel but that appears to be common enough that I'll pursue it.

Cheers, Sean

Got picture to share re: deep Garmins

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

It was clear much chopping of my forward bulkhead was necessary for Garmin "stack".
Carl Froelick and Tom Doran help me design, chop, and then reinforce wat was needed. It is very sturdy now.
I can send send pics via email if requested (I'm not so good with interned pic sites).

Daddyman

Back