What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick question for builders on wing wires...

edhunter

Well Known Member
I did not build my RV9A, and am replacing the avionics. I pulled the seat pans to access the wiring in place, trying to figure out what wires do what. From the wing root into the cockpit, I have three unlabeled wires. One is to the fuel sensor, one is to the landing lights. I have another wire that I cannot figure out what it is. There is no heated pitot in the wing, it's not to the autopilot servo, and it's not the strobe bundle. It does not go the length of the wing, and appears to terminate in the root area. Any ideas?

My guess would be OAT, outside air temperature. It would usually need 2 or 3 wires depending on brand.

some folks run an extra wire or string lead thru hard to access wings to help in pulling wiring harnesses needed for future upgrades...??

access panel

Is it terminated where the servo would be installed? You might be able to find the end by checking inside the wing access panel. Possible run for heated pitot tube but the builder decided to abandon that it.

Wire doesn't go to the servo area, nor the pitot. I'll pull the wing fairing at the fuselage and see if I can trace it. Thought maybe the fuel sensor had a ground connection or something. Appreciate the help!

some folks run an extra wire or string lead thru hard to access wings to help in pulling wiring harnesses needed for future upgrades...??

My guess is that’s exactly what it is - a pull wire for making future wiring alterations. I’ve done this on all 4 of my builds. I label it “pull wire” with a loop, so I know what it is for. I use Teflon coated wire because it’s slippery, and a gage that is strong enough. If you do that and end up pulling a new wire(s) through, attach another wire to bring your pull wire back in to place. This has worked for me many times, as I can’t seem to stop making modifications.

Back