What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on removing F-1048-L/R

charlesmc

We completed our audit of LCPs and we are just down to the fact that we have laser cut F-1048-L/R in our fuselage.

We are late in Section 29, so the F-1048-L/R are riveted into the firewall, bottom skin, forward floors (from the side), and forward spar.

I'm trying to get input on how to approach removal of these two parts and re-installation of punched parts.

Most rivets are accessible (more or less), but I'm concerned about the rivets where the heads are in-between the spars. It would be very difficult to get a drill in between the two spars to drill out the head. We really don't want to split the fuselage again at this point as that would involve gazillions of rivets that are on the side and bottom skins.

Since we now don't care about the LCPs that are coming out, for these specific rivets I was thinking about removing the tails of the rivet which are easier to access.

Does anyone have experience with grinding the tail off a rivet or using say an oscillating Dremel tool to saw the rivet tail off? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Charles

I’m going to Build-on

I also have F-1048s as one of my thankfully limited parts with exposure to LCPs. Given that it is so difficult to remove and so easy to inspect, I’m personally going to build on. Just a data point. I feel like it is very low risk. I’m also pretty certain mine were punched, just not 100%.

LCP or not?

I also have F-1048s as one of my thankfully limited parts with exposure to LCPs. Given that it is so difficult to remove and so easy to inspect, I’m personally going to build on. Just a data point. I feel like it is very low risk. I’m also pretty certain mine were punched, just not 100%.

Greg:

Do you remember peeling blue protective film off of those parts?
At the July 2023 EAA Forum it was mentioned no LCP parts were produced with the blue film attached as it affects the laser intensity.

Grinding the tail off is pretty easy if the tail is deformed onto a part that will become scrap. Depending upon access space, a cut off wheel (used to grind off tail, not cut off tail) or die grinder with carbide bit works well. Just keep a close eye on progress to be sure you are not going through the scrap part into the remaining part. Then drill and punch out head as typical for rivet removal.

Greg:

Do you remember peeling blue protective film off of those parts?
At the July 2023 EAA Forum it was mentioned no LCP parts were produced with the blue film attached as it affects the laser intensity.

That's the main indication I would go by for determining LCP. There was just a very small handful of parts without blue vinyl in my fuselage. I just don't recall if those parts specifically did or did not. I have to make my decisions assuming they are possibly LCP, but still based on the ease of inspection and difficulty to remove, I will leave those in place [which is also consistent with Van's comments regarding those parts.]

When I finished inventory of my wing, I took a candid photo of all the parts on the shelves - turned out to be very helpful for conclusively eliminated LCP candidates. Wish I had done the same on the fuse.

Isn't this part labeled as wait for alternate instructions?

This is the side of the tunnel? Vans says to wait for alternate instructions. Maybe they will have a better option than risking replacing it and screwing up the spar, etc.

Back