What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question - Adding to the CAN Bus

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to replace two GDU-370's with two GDU-470's. I'll also be replacing a standalone Dynon D6 with a G5 (the only connection the D6 has to the rest of the harness is an RS-232 GPS input).

The G5 will need to be added to the CAN Bus. If I'm interpreting the original schematic correctly, the CAN Bus terminates at the roll servo at one end and the PFD at the other.

If this is correct, is it proper to simply splice the G5 CAN Hi/Lo into the PFD CAN Hi/Lo and move the termination point to the G5?

CAN Bus Termination PFD.jpg CAN Bus Termination Servo.jpg

Yes, that looks correct, and should work just fine. Doing it this way, you'll remove the termination connection at the GDU, and add a termination adapter at the G5. Be sure to follow the wiring guidance (section 2.3.1.3.2 of the current installation manual) by splicing your signal wires and shields within a few inches of the GDU connector.

The pitch and roll servos are usually the end points? Not sure why the PFD would be the termination point?

The pitch and roll servos are usually the end points? Not sure why the PFD would be the termination point?

No reason for it not to be, it's a bus. Plan the bus to use the least amount of wire possible (especially at $6 a foot), not terminate on some specific devices.

My thoughts exactly. That's how I did it to minimize the distance on a 7. I would expect on a 10 the yaw dampening servo would make it even more so.

What about the magnetometers? They tend to be way out on the extremes of the airframe. My GMU11 is on a wingtip, that’s one end of my canbus.

No reason for it not to be, it's a bus. Plan the bus to use the least amount of wire possible (especially at $6 a foot), not terminate on some specific devices.

What's is the part number of the expensive CANbus wire, and where's the best place to buy it?

What about the magnetometers? They tend to be way out on the extremes of the airframe. My GMU11 is on a wingtip, that’s one end of my canbus.

True for the GMU11, the GMU22 is most likely in this install because it was a 370 conversion, the 11 wasn't available then.

The part #'s and manufacturers are in the Garmin installation docs, which I don't have handy at the moment. Gigaflight is one of them, and what I used. I bought it from Aircraft Spruce. Someone else posted about dealing with Gigaflight directly and said the experience was great.
Here's a link to it at Aircraft Spruce.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_11-17890.php?clickkey=3425524

Thanks for this info. I looked at the Spruce page and it was pretty informative as to what this stuff is and why it's different.

Now all I need to decide is whether I'll actually be wiring this airplane or selling it...

True for the GMU11, the GMU22 is most likely in this install because it was a 370 conversion, the 11 wasn't available then.

Yes, it's GMU-22. As noted, it's not on the CAN Bus (nor is the GMC-305).

We successfully replaced the two GDU-370's with GDU-470's and installed a G5 in place of the old D6.

The G5 is now the CAN Bus termination. I still have a bunch of bugs to work out in the configuration and calibration but it powered up with no errors, immediately recognized the OS update SD and pushed the OS update to the G5.

Flew it home a few hours ago.

Back