What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q1 work space

SethInMI

I'm New Here
If I build a plane, I think would have to do it as much in my home as possible, as being close to the work makes it so much easier to keep working on it. I hope that until I put the wings on I could keep it off-airport?

I got two possible spaces:
1. A 12ft x 30ft workshop in my basement. Has 32" doorway. Is climate controlled. Could I use this to build parts?
2. A spare stall in a 3 car garage. Not ciimate controlled, but could be insulated to make mostly comfortable. I think if I put the work benches on wheels I could pull them out after removing a car and have a 20 x 25 ft work area.

Anyone have opinions on whether or not that will work? what can I assemble in the basement? any thing? (for RV8 or RV14)

Workspace

If I build a plane, I think would have to do it as much in my home as possible, as being close to the work makes it so much easier to keep working on it. I hope that until I put the wings on I could keep it off-airport?

1. A 12ft x 30ft workshop in my basement. Has 32" doorway. Is climate controlled. Could I use this to build parts?
2. A spare stall in a 3 car garage. Not ciimate controlled, but could be insulated to make mostly comfortable. I think if I put the work benches on wheels I could pull them out after removing a car and have a 20 x 25 ft work area.

Anyone have opinions on whether or not that will work? what can I assemble in the basement? any thing? (for RV8 or RV14)

12x30 is plenty up till the fuse. I think both RV4 & RV8 are wider than 32". I've seen a RV10 built in a storage container.
If your comfortable, you get more done.

Last edited:

Plenty of room to get started and into the build. I built in one stall of 2 car garage up until I fit wings. I used a kerosene heater which did a fine job keeping garage toasty during a Missouri winter. Turned on when I got home from work and by the time changed clothes and quick supper it was very warm for 2-3 hours of work every evening.

Last edited:
A couple things...

As has been said already, you have chosen the best and biggest support group and aircraft type. Your build area options are decent, and the climate controlled area will be your best friend for anything that you can do there. I'm not sure what your knowledge and understanding of this endeavor is, but its a long commitment most everyone in this group has or is enduring. Have you flown/flown in and RV of any type? If you can find any local (Wyoming is vast!) EAA chapters or individuals that have built an RV, dive in deep with them and their experiences. 99% of the RV's built start with the empennage kit which will give you the basic skills to build the rest, as well as adapt to your build area/shop. If you find that building isn't for you, your investment is minimal. I built much of my RV-4 in a basement with a 32" door and then final assembled at the airport. Building "at home" keeps you 5 minutes from production and 5 minutes from going to bed..very important if you work a day job while building a plane.

Building Space

I built two RV-6a's, and an RV-7A in a two car garage (heated) with one bay always open for my wife's car! It's all about how you use the space...

Back