What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q: Source For Replacement Tailwheel Tire

PhatRV

Well Known Member
The tailwheel tire in my RV8 is toasted. The rubber donut was off the rim after the pattern practice today. It was chattering like crazy. My landings were terrible and they didn't help the matter.

What is another source for tailwheel tire that will fit the RV8? I prefer the alternative wheel that is more durable than the one that came with the kit.

Thanks.

I installed the tailwheel sent from Scott Hersha while waiting for the Flyboy unit to arrive.

I took the damaged tailwheel and found out the hub could be removed using just a screwdriver. The donut was only glued onto the hub, or maybe vulcanized. There is no sidewall flange to hold the donut together. Once the glue was separated, the donut was freewheeling and squeeling during landing. The hub was just along for the ride. Here is the picture of the broken pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_0596_small.jpg
    IMG_0596_small.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 39
The ignored tire......

I’m using the deluxe tailwheel tire from FlyBoy:https://flyboyaccessories.com/products/deluxe-tailwheel-tire
It’s a little bit lighter than the Vans supplied unit.

I am a fan of the Flyboys tire mounted on an attractive aluminum hub. Much better-looking that the original Van's tire/wheel and has a bit more rubber attached..which might mean longer wearing. AND it saves nearly a pound of weight way back where you don't want weight. (What is the moment-arm on a tail wheel....?) I bought mine for both of those reasons: great-looking unit and (my main reason) lighter. Not to mention sealed bearings. No more slinging spare bearing grease on my rudder! They are currently out-of-stock....:(

In certified aircraft. the FAA doesn't appear to care what you put on your tail wheel assembly. I have a friend who went to a tire company who made industrial wheels/tires and showed them what he needed. They came up with a wheel/tire used on roller coasters that was exactly what he needed.:eek: I'm not sure what company; it might have been DARCOR or one of their distributors. Has lasted him years on his PA-12 that sees a lot of back-country use.

Back