What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Puzzled ! enlighten me?

GAHco

Well Known Member
In my six kit, purchased long ago I have a whatsit piece of white plastic with the dimensions of 1 inch wide, 48 inches long and 1/8" thick.

I know I need it, but for what purpose?

I appreciate the knowledge pool, so jump on in and enlighten me?

I wonder if it is the UHMW strip that goes on the backside of the slider canopy skirts as a big washer? Alternately, I'd guess some sort of attachment stuff for the tip-up, but I didn't build one of those...

As I recall on the tipup its used on the bottom of the rollbar between the handle and the rollbar. Other places are where the seat belt cables come thru the baggage bulkhead, and inside the battery box that was on the floor just behind the firewall.

Thanks

It's been 17 moons ago but I think it belongs to the canopy side's?. Plans are at the hanger. Will look Friday if no other answers.

Mike

I did not see this in the plans.

Is it used as a rub strip for the canopy skirts?

I think 1 inch wide is too much for the canopy.

Some of the wider 1 inch strips were used in the original battery box that was in between the rudder pedals.

If you are using the later firewall front mounted battery box they are spare...

It is for the items in the battery box. Not needed if you're doing a newer finish kit which places the battery on the firewall ala the RV-7/9.

I don't remember seeing any of this stuff on the plans when I did my -6A slider canopy last fall. I know there is not any of the stuff there currently.

Brad is correct. The UHMW white polyethylene strip is for the old design (Concord?) battery box.....the one mounted aft of the firewall. The newer firewall forward battery box for the Odyssey P680 battery does not use the poly strip.

Funny, I have the same unused strip, but could not remember why I have not used it....forward mounted battery explains it.

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's efforts to be helpful.

I now know that I do not need it and now I can move on :)

Doesn't a piece belong on either side of the shoulder-harness pass-throughs (one above, one below) at the baggage bulkhead? Or was it just the builder of my -6 who did that?

Back