What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer & Paint Compatibility

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
It's time to think about painting the interior! During the build I already primed most of the interior using a combination of Stewart EkoPrime and EkoPoxy, and there really isn't a ton to paint given that I'll have front/baggage carpets and side panels. So I'll paint the baggage area, seat pans, and canopy rails.

I know you're supposed to use the same paint manufacturer as primer, but as much as I love the Stewart primer, their color options don't really work for my other interior choices. Am I really rolling the dice to use something like Acry-Glo over my existing primer? Does Acry-Glo need a chemical bond to the primer, or is a mechanical bond (scuffed primer) enough?

If I do go the Acry-Glo route, what do I have to order besides the actual paint? Is it a system that requires a hardener and catalyst?

Paint bond

It's time to think about painting the interior! During the build I already primed most of the interior using a combination of Stewart EkoPrime and EkoPoxy, and there really isn't a ton to paint given that I'll have front/baggage carpets and side panels. So I'll paint the baggage area, seat pans, and canopy rails.

I know you're supposed to use the same paint manufacturer as primer, but as much as I love the Stewart primer, their color options don't really work for my other interior choices. Am I really rolling the dice to use something like Acry-Glo over my existing primer? Does Acry-Glo need a chemical bond to the primer, or is a mechanical bond (scuffed primer) enough?

If I do go the Acry-Glo route, what do I have to order besides the actual paint? Is it a system that requires a hardener and catalyst?

No way to get a chemical bond unless the paint is applied within the manufacturer specified time frame. Mechanical bond just requires an abraded surface. Wet sand with 400. Clean and spray.

I’ve done AcryGlo over Stewart Systems before. Scuff with 320 sandpaper and red scotchbrite, clean, and you’re good to go.

Solvent resistance

You might test your finish paint of choice on both primers. The non epoxy primer version will wash off with some solvents, maybe your reducer in the finish paint.

Back