What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plugging the tooling hole in tank end rib...

danielhv

Well Known Member
Ok, so I don't have an AN470AD6 rivet to fill these holes... Will a pop-rivet work? I dont think I have one that size, but maybe grab one from lowes or home depot since its just to fill a hole? I just really dont want to stop working because I have to order 4 rivets. :(

I can't imagine why not. I had some big ones from some project I bought years ago, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a pop there. Just clean the area & the pop well, set it with the the head inside to make covering it easier, & proseal over it. Or, you could use 2 rivets to attach a small piece of scrap AL over the hole. (I'd prefer the pop.)

Charlie

Dan,

I think I've got a few of those rivets. Send your address and I'll drop 'em in the mail on Monday.

I wouldn't use a pop rivet that large.

If you can't find a solid rivet, make a small patch with at least 3 evenly spaced solid rivets.

PS..I was just over at Lake Dallas today for an EAA meeting. If You had posted this morning, I could have brought you a few rivets.

Last edited:
If you can't find a solid rivet, make a small patch with at least 3 evenly spaced solid rivets.

PS..I was just over at Lake Dallas today for an EAA meeting. If You had posted this morning, I could have brought you a few rivets.

Ahh man, dont you know you're supposed to call me every day and ask if I need anything from you!? :D :D Kidding! I take it you were at the newsletter folding deal... I joined the chapter a few weeks ago, but haven't made it out to meet any of the members yet! :(

Yep, at the newsletter folding party.

Ahh man, dont you know you're supposed to call me every day and ask if I need anything from you!?

Sorry, I forgot. I do have some if you want to come get them.
I've got an inspection in the morning @ HQZ, will be home mid-afternoon.

Thread revival. I closed up my tank and realized I left one of the tooling holes on the end rib open. Funny didn’t catch it until leak test.

Is there a pop rivet equivalent to a 470a-6.3? I could patch it as well but a pop rivet would be easier.

Thx.

On the RV-12iS fuel tank, we use an AD-62-BS blind rivet to plug the tooling holes. The instructions say to scuff around the tooling hole and apply a glob of sealant to the inside of the plug rivets. I also put some sealant over the rivet on the outside.

That’s so you can pass them along to others who have made the same mistake!
I have a stack of them you can have, but shipping from the U.K. might take a bit too long for you.

Back